Hake Grammar & Writing

KwHsmom2014

• Reviewed on Friday, October 17, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I think this is a great program. I was amazed at the small amount of grammar the public school worked on! This was exactly what my daughter needed. She is an extremely gifted creative writer so we didn't need the writing part but use it anyway. But the grammar part is structured and repetitive enough that she remembers it. She is the editor of her middle school paper (she stills attends her journalism class at school) and she is quite the editor! Her teacher remarked how she is so particular at editing the students articles! My daughter has mentioned how all this grammar has helped her with editing too.

babiroo

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 4, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013
If you like Saxon Math, you'll like Hake. They are the same type of book by the same people. I thought it was very challenging and my very bright son struggled with it. (That's not something I usually say about him) It was very logical and short on inspiring. Doubt I'd use it in the future.

DeuxLumieres

• Reviewed on Monday, January 17, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
This is absolutely the best grammar curriculum I have ever found. I love how it introduces new concepts incrementally and the presents consistent and constant review of them as the school year progresses. It does the same with the vocabulary words - so my kids are still getting quizzed on vocabulary words from the first month of school.

I also like the sentence diagramming. As with other concepts, it introduces it gradually so it is not overwhelming. They also make sure the student has a good understanding of the word's function in the sentence before attempting to diagram it.

The lessons are reasonably short, limited to one specific concept, and then there are 30 review questions. They also have 'more practice' activities which can be used for further emphasis. My children usually take less than 15 minutes per day for a complete lesson and because of the mix of concepts in the review set, don't complain about it being boring or tedious.

The examples and practice questions/sentences are centered around a theme (for instance the first 50 lessons are each about a state in the United States). So the students are gaining a little bit of knowledge along with their grammar lessons.

I also like the writing portion of the curriculum. My two have a good understanding of what makes a good essay, writing techniques (such as topic sentences, transition words), and even brainstorming.

We will definitely be continuing with the Hake curriculum.

CyndiLJ

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 24, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
We have just finished our 3rd week with Saxon (Hake) Grammar and Writing. We pulled our son out of public school after 3 weeks this year so are new to homeschooling and I was struggling to find several programs to work with to cover all of language arts, and was finding myself frustrated as it was hard to discern what might work best in each area. After hours of research I stumbled upon this program and explored it further. We had started using Saxon math and we were already seeing results with how the program was presented and I thought we might find the Grammar and Writing program to be as effective. I was right.

My son is reading at 9th grade level as a 5th grader, but his grammar and writing skills were awful and were at 3rd grade level. It seems public school is more concerned with the thought behind the writing, which for him was always creative and well supported, but had almost no emphasis on correct punctuation, capitalization or sentence structure.

3 weeks in we are already seeing improvement in all areas. This program includes 2 vocabulary words with each lesson, which are then reinforced within the body of the lesson. It has terrific explanations of grammar and spelling rules, and it requires dictation once a week which is challenging. It also offers a topic for daily journaling, suggesting at least 3 lines written each day which we actually increase to a couple of paragraphs.

Like Saxon math, it introduces concepts incrementally in small steps, and offers lots of review of older concepts. But the lessons are not as tedious as many would think...the cross-curricular approach has already led us to Googling geography terms an historical events, and it keeps my son interested in the lessons which are not all that long. He completes them in about 30-45 minutes. His retention is quite high of the concepts presented, as the continual review allows him to more easily build on concepts rather than it being "hit and miss" with much forgotten.

This is not an inexpensive program, costing a similar amount ot their math programs. But it works, and that is money well spent over lesser programs that are not as all-inclusive as this one. I have no doubts that our son will be a very good writer by the end of this 4 year course of study (4 different levels of texts from 5th - 8th grade).