BJU Press Handwriting (Bob Jones)

way2homeschool

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 25, 2010
  • Dates used: 2006-2010
I debated whether or not to use the BJ Handwriting because I thought the cursive just wasn't very attractive like traditional cursive (with the loops and slants of letters). However, I considered how I was taught to write (the traditional cursive) and compared it to how I actually write now as an adult - it's very similar to BJ. I don't use the loops and deep slant, and I don't make 3 humps for m or 2 humps for n. Another letter that should be noted as different is the lowercase "b" - with the BJ handwriting it can't be mistaken as a lowercase "l" like it can in traditional cursive form.

As far as the workbooks go, I liked the Grade 2 workbook the best. It reviews pre-cursive and moves on to cursive about half-way. The 3rd grade workbook requires a bit more of original writing and a lot more copying of long passages - which is okay if your child doesn't mind handwriting practice.

I worked through grades K-3 with my daughter, and now having several more kids to teach, I've decided that I would just purchase the teacher's manual for grade 2 (since it teaches the pre-cursive and cursive formations of each letter) and use grade-appropriate handwriting paper in lieu of the student workbooks. I don't think they really need the fancy workbooks to practice handwriting, and it saves money.

MamaChristine

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 4, 2008
  • Grades Used: K-2nd
  • Dates used: 2004-2008
I completely agree with telling's review. BJU's pre-cursive makes transitioning from printing to cursive much simpler. In fact, I started my youngest daughter with BJU's pre-cursive rather than the traditional "ball and stick" printing when she was in kindergarten. That made transitioning even easier.

That said, I don't care much for the way BJU's cursive looks and start my children on A Reason For Handwriting after they've learned pre-cursive. It may just be a matter of personal preference, but A Reason For's cursive style is much more traditional, while BJU's is a hybrid of cursive and pre-cursive.

If you don't have a problem with the look of BJU's cursive style or if your child has trouble learning a more traditional style, BJU may be perfect for you.

telling

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st-6th
  • Dates used: 2002-2008
I really like the Bob Jones handwriting. The printing is pre-cursive which makes for an easy transition to cursive. (pre-cursive is where the letters that end at the bottom have a slight curve to the right). All of my children who used this so far had no problems learning letter formations, they all have neat handwriting. My two oldest daughters have beautiful cursive handwriting.

I also like that the entire Bob Jones curriculum use this style in their workbooks so it's very consistant.

I have used this with my first three children and have three more children I will use it with.

k24heart

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 20, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008
This is a nice program that provides 1 page a day starting with letters, words, and eventually sentences (some of which are quality like Jesus forgives). Letters are rounded (not pointy) without the extra tails that are cumbersome at this age when learning letter formation that come s with D’Nealian. We switched from Handwriting Without Tears (which we loved & used this from PK-K) to make the transition to 3 lines easier.