Amanda Bennett Unit Studies

mbennett01

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010
I used Amanda Bennett's Download N Go. The web site said it was innovative, but not really--lots of lapbooks have a variety of activities and web links. Nothing special here that hasn't been done before. Also, I thought the activities were twaddle. I bought some animal units. We did the whales and one of the activities was to draw a picture of yourself waving to a beluga whale. This activity was used for EVERY whale covered in the unit. I could have thought of something more educational than that. I'm not sure these were really tested on children like in a co op with feedback. I looked through some of the country titles a friend had purchased-it had the same activities for each country,something about the time and temperature in different cities in the country. Plus too many links. I didn't want my child spending that much time in front of a computer. They'll do plenty of that when they are older. Lots of wasted ink too. I did print in grayscale, but still I really didn't like printing out an entire page just to have my chid circle one answer. The arwork looked like clipart,and instead of real photos of the animals, lots of cartoonish ones. I wouldn't waste my money.

kim775

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 21, 2010
  • Grades Used: k-4th
  • Dates used: 2009-10 school year
I ordered a "pick 4" pack of the Download N Go studies, because the samples looked as if they were well-written studies. I really feel as if I wasted my money.

Besides having no guidebook to gain information from (Mrs. Bennett relies soley on web links), the study would require me to print every page if I used it the way it was intended. I cannot see printing an entire, full-color page, just to have my child circle "yes" or "no." A waste of ink, IMHO. Also, because everything is based on using the web links, my children sat in front of the computer for way too long on the one study that they actually completed. I prefer a more "hands-on" and "active" (away from the computer) style of learning, and do not feel as though this series fits that description.

MaNacci

• Reviewed on Monday, July 19, 2010
  • Grades Used: K-5th
  • Dates used: since 2009
I LOVE Amanda Bennett's Download & Go Unit Studies! Our first was 'Autumn Treasures'. Fall being my favorite season, it was such a welcome change to our everyday routine. Tons of printouts, and fun crafts to make into a lapbook. We hadn't done lapbooks before, so the whole experience was so memorable. They were so proud of their lapbooks, they showed everyone! Challenging enough for my 4th grader, yet simple sheets for my k- child, too.
There are tons of links, and we particularly enjoyed the short films. Broken links do happen on occasion, but it's no big deal, it at least gives us an idea of what to search for.
I like that it's all at my fingertips, and there's not a lot of materials to gather on my own. Very convienient. I know my children learned so much more than just facts about the season. We got to really experience it together.
We've done all the seasons, now, getting ready to do 'Summer Sensations' I recommend this as a supplement during breaks, or if you just want to spice up your life a little. Perfect for the "relaxed" homeschooler looking to add fun to the lesson.

MirandaL_99

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 4, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2008
I don't care for Amanda Bennett unit studies myself. Like another poster said the links are usually no good. And even if they are, I printed one on race cars for my husband to do with the kids and it's HUGE, and I don't really see how it could be that educational. Everyday it's the same thing. It seems a little boring to me and I really like unit studies.