Aleks Math - Trig.

Musicalquiltingm

• Reviewed on Monday, March 16, 2015
  • Grades Used: Alegbra, Trigonometry
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
Aleks is not a stand-alone program. It does not give you the "proofs" so a student knows WHY the formula works. Therefore, the math knowledge doesn't stick with the student. The helps given are not truly helpful. My 17yo had to go to Khan Academy for help. I tried this instead of our usual TEAChING TEXTBOOKS, but will have to return to them next year. Sad. Another wasted school year.

SAILRNEST

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 18, 2012
  • Grades Used: 5th,6th,11th,12th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Aleks was recommended for my daughter by a math teacher who holds a double Masters in Mathematics and taught at CSUN, Oxnard and Ventura JC. She used the program to homeschool her own 3 children. I used it with my "special son" who was able to navigate well on his own, he logged over 345 hours before he finished the 5th grade but he did do it. He is currently doing 6th grade. My daughter did Algebra 2 and is using it again this year for Trig, even though she is taking Trig at the local college as well. It has proven to be a tutor resource allowing her to stay at the top of her class.

nkaiserman

• Reviewed on Friday, April 29, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010
I used this Aleks course for my dd 15, through our online school ,Harmony Ed, and it seemed to work wonderfully. When we first started, I did feel that there was not enough review, however, she always did well on assessments, so I shrugged it off. All of the enticing things distracted me: nothing I had to grade, periodic assessments, detailed progress reports. However, this year she enrolled in AP Calculus through a local charter school, and could remember almost none of her trigonometry! We have used Saxon in the past, and she has always remembered her math from summer to summer. Needless to say, none of my younger children will use Aleks for their main math curriculum! I feel that this program would probably be a good way to review a course during the summer, but does not work well as a complete curriculum during the school year.