Teaching Textbooks

ErinD

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 14, 2017
  • Grades Used: 7th, 5th, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2016-2017
I switched my boys from Math Mammoth to TT for a number of reasons but one of the main ones was that they needed much more review than what MM offers. My 4th grade son had spent months doing long division but at the end of the year, couldn't remember how to do it at all! My other children had similar issues. TT has really fit the bill in this regard. There is a lot of review built into each lesson and consequently, a lot more practice of concepts overall. It really helps to cement those concepts!

Other things I appreciate about TT: the pace is slower. Doing 4 lessons per week easily gets through a whole book in one school year. With MM, I always felt I was trying to squeeze everything in. It was too much. For my youngest, TT is right on his level whereas MM was too advanced for him. There is also a touch of humor in the lessons.

The only con is the price! But so far, it has been worth it. I just use the workbooks without the CD's and so far this has worked out very well, and cuts down on the cost.

Lydiboog

• Reviewed on Friday, May 9, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My son has struggled with math since Kindergarten! We could never find a good fit for him. My evaluator suggested TT and I am so happy I gave it a try! I did not use the DVDs, but plan on using them for 7th grade. I just covered the lesson and practice with him and he completed the remainder independantly. We then checked it and he did any corrections. We did add a little extra practice with flashcards for facts and terminology (these are his weak areas). This is the first year math has not brought tears and meltdowns. I can see how some call this "easy". It is not as rigorous as other math curriculums, but it is on grade level. I bought a standardized math practice book for 6th grade and everything he needs to know has been covered this year. If you have a child who struggles or hates math this is worth the money. I plan on sticking with this through high school.

lprstn

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th / 7th grade
  • Dates used: 2013
Although this product appeared to have all we needed, it didn't offer enough information and practice for my kids. I had to supplement it with other things to give them a more robust program. I'm sure it will work well for others, but to us it just didn't seem like enough. My kids didn't like the video explaination. However, it could be because they are so used to a structured school setting and this seems to be a good fit for an independent learner. Also, it takes less time to finish the lesson.

coxfamsc

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 6th and 8th
  • Dates used: 2012-13
We heard some good things about Teaching Textbooks, so when we seen their booth at our homeschooling conference last year, we thought that we would give them a try. The main reason was to "free-up" some time since the lessons are taught for the student (we homeschool 5 students). Up until this point, we've used A Beka and BJU for math.

Well, lets just say our 6th grader breezed through the lessons and was done within 15 -20 minutes!! We had to purchase some additional math books, like math minute, etc, in order to keep her challenged. The lessons are very nicely taught however, and the teacher does a very good job, it simply was way to easy for her. My 8th grader was a little more challenged with it, but my complaint would be there are only 126 lessons for a 180 day school year, and there are only 15 tests, no quizzes. The curriculum is taught very well and it's well organized, but I think it might be to easy. Next year, I'll be switching our 8th grader (he'll be 9th grade) back to BJU and I will let my 6th grader (she'll be 7th) try his 8th grade Teaching Textbooks!! If she does well and is challenged, we'll keep her in it.