Teaching Textbooks

Tami

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 4, 2017
  • Grades Used: 4th grade
  • Dates used: Used 9/2016 through 5/2017
This curriculum is the bomb! We started homeschooling our 3rd grader last fall - first time ever. I did a bunch of research and TT had such great reviews. The reviews suggested that we have our child take the placement test, so we did. Our daughter placed in 4th grade with ease, rather than 3rd.

We went ahead and purchased the entire 4th grade math curricula including the CD's. She is a self starter and didn't need any help from me until the multiplication facts were introduced around Christmas. The curricula didn't go over the times tables as much as we would have liked, but we just took a week out to go over them and then she was back on track! This extra nudge helped when division and long division rolled around.

As a mom, I love how this is an independent study and my daughter feels that she has control over her lessons. She can do two lessons in a day and take the next day off if she likes! I love how the program gives the tests and grades them, and I absolutely loooove that it uses the spiral method of teaching.

ErinD

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 14, 2017
  • Grades Used: 7th, 5th, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2016-2017
I switched my boys from Math Mammoth to TT for a number of reasons but one of the main ones was that they needed much more review than what MM offers. My 4th grade son had spent months doing long division but at the end of the year, couldn't remember how to do it at all! My other children had similar issues. TT has really fit the bill in this regard. There is a lot of review built into each lesson and consequently, a lot more practice of concepts overall. It really helps to cement those concepts!

Other things I appreciate about TT: the pace is slower. Doing 4 lessons per week easily gets through a whole book in one school year. With MM, I always felt I was trying to squeeze everything in. It was too much. For my youngest, TT is right on his level whereas MM was too advanced for him. There is also a touch of humor in the lessons.

The only con is the price! But so far, it has been worth it. I just use the workbooks without the CD's and so far this has worked out very well, and cuts down on the cost.

Lydiboog

• Reviewed on Friday, May 9, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My son has struggled with math since Kindergarten! We could never find a good fit for him. My evaluator suggested TT and I am so happy I gave it a try! I did not use the DVDs, but plan on using them for 7th grade. I just covered the lesson and practice with him and he completed the remainder independantly. We then checked it and he did any corrections. We did add a little extra practice with flashcards for facts and terminology (these are his weak areas). This is the first year math has not brought tears and meltdowns. I can see how some call this "easy". It is not as rigorous as other math curriculums, but it is on grade level. I bought a standardized math practice book for 6th grade and everything he needs to know has been covered this year. If you have a child who struggles or hates math this is worth the money. I plan on sticking with this through high school.

lprstn

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th / 7th grade
  • Dates used: 2013
Although this product appeared to have all we needed, it didn't offer enough information and practice for my kids. I had to supplement it with other things to give them a more robust program. I'm sure it will work well for others, but to us it just didn't seem like enough. My kids didn't like the video explaination. However, it could be because they are so used to a structured school setting and this seems to be a good fit for an independent learner. Also, it takes less time to finish the lesson.