BJU Press Science (Bob Jones)

IdahoHomeschool

• Reviewed on Friday, August 29, 2008
  • Grades Used: -
  • Dates used: -

nat 21pt

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 21, 2008
  • Grades Used: kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2007
I have used 1st grade science with my five year old since he was really interested in anything science. We started of very slowly, 1 lesson a week and he retained quite a bit even for his young age (He remembers things he learned 3 months ago). The main thing that I found is even though the curriculum is thorough, it was dry, I found student text lacking information. Teacher's text did not have a easy flow to it. Some of the activities were "not fun" as my son would put it. Plus, I found that I had to supplement text with library books that are more colorful and have more pictures in them to keep ds interested in the lessons. After 6 lessons ds did not want to do science anymore and we stopped. Like I said earlier, the curriculum is thorough but it just did not work for us.

Jane M

• Reviewed on Monday, January 21, 2008
  • Grades Used: 7th, 8th, 11th
  • Dates used: 2003-2007
BJU science is quite rigorous & thorough. Science is one of the things that BJU truly excels in. The workbooks are great for reinforcing the textbook material. They also have great hands-on activities although you often have to go buy stuff in order to execute the project, i.e., there isn't a kit with everything that you need like some curricula might have. Our older dd has done very well with this curriculum, but she has a scientific/analytical mind. Our 11th grader looked at Apologia & she thinks that BJU is more in-depth. However, I would recommend the videos for use with BJU science. The DVDs are interesting & explain the material well. I'm not so sure that we would have enjoyed this text if we had been trying to pull out the concepts on our own w/out benefit of videos. It is one of the more demanding science curricula. Our younger dd did Life Science (7th grade) with DVDs for all of about a month before she gave up in tears. She has a LD & BJU Science was over her head. So we switched to School of Tomorrow for LS & she is doing much better.

jblugerman

• Reviewed on Monday, June 11, 2007
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I used Science 1 for my two kids who are in K and 1st. I found it a good program that they could do together. They enjoyed the workbook pages. It was a good intro to science for them. I liked that it taught things like force (mechanical, gravity, friction, etc.) at such a young age! It covers a broad spectrum which may not do much for retention, but for us it was a good way to get them thinking about basic scientific concepts. I'm thinking of changing to Apologia's new elementary curriculum which is more in-depth, but did enjoy Science 1. Still undecided. I agree that the TM is a must have!