Writing Tales

twinzplus3

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 28, 2009
  • Grades Used: 4th, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009-present
We also just got started with this program. We really like it as well. To give a little more detail:

It is based on the classical model of writing. You read a fair tale, fable or something similar. Then you rewrite the story in your own words and then you add your own personal details to the story to make it your own.

I like it too because it focuses on just a few things at a time, and it also is fun! Every grammar concept has a grammar game that is in the appendices. The stories are well chosen and interesting.

While it is complete in terms of writing instruction, it is also light so your child doesn't have to find it burdensome. My kids really love it.

Drebin

• Reviewed on Friday, October 10, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2008 (Sept-Oct)
I just got started on this program with my son. We really do like it. We use it in conjunction with Easy Grammar and BJ Spelling. The author has selected several tales and fables, such as The Crow and the Pitcher and The Princess and the Pea to focus on grammar, writing and dictionary skills. At the end of each tale, the student rewrites the story in his own words.
I like this program because it gives two weeks of practice on one or two grammar/writing rules. She also has the student make a spelling list of words that were misspelled while writing the rough draft. The tales are short and entertaining and this program is well organized. She gives review sheets throughout the program which build on the previous grammar rules that were learned. The work load is light, so we do a couple of pages each day and then take our time writing and rewriting the final story.
The author has two levels of books, level one is for 3rd-4th grade and level two for 4th-5th grade.