BJU Press Distance Learning Online (Bob Jones)

hunelmm803

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 14, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
We have used BJU distance learning on three different occasions. Each time I have wondered why I used it and have sent suggestions on how it could be made better for the parent/facilitator. They have done improvements each time. Kudos to them.

Pros for BJU distance learning compared to ABeka's would be that your student is not watching a classroom of other students. The teacher is teaching the lesson to your student.

Things I have been unhappy with:
The high school curriculum is scheduled a FULL 180 days. It leaves zero time to participate in outside educational opportunities if you want to finish curriculum.

Do not believe what the website states for the number of days. Example: Geography for high school states that it is 165 days. That sounds as if we would be able to have days to do other education opportunities. That is not the case. It is scheduled for a full 180 days.

The high school Physics is older and uses recordings of LINC videos. That means the teacher is not presenting the lesson to your student. He has students that are participating via the internet. It is not the quality expected for BJU's price.

I would prefer that English be just English and Bible be just Bible, etc. While I love the Bible, I do not want the writing and grammar teacher to spend 5-10 minutes on her Bible reading before beginning the lesson.

It would be great to have the teacher SHOW what he/she is talking about in all classes. Students need to hear and see. That is a plus for ABeka even though you have to wade through their entire class time.

On a hugely positive note: The Spanish teacher is a super happy man and is always smiling and jovial.

I am not a big fan of textbook, shove-it-in and spit-it-out curriculum, but I felt that it would be a good experience to have what it will be like in college. It can be boring. This way of learning does not make the subject come alive unless the teacher is passionate about their subject. So far, I have not found that kind of passion in the teachers.

I definitely wish I had not spent the money on this option for my kid's senior year.

adonn

• Reviewed on Friday, April 24, 2015
  • Grades Used: 8- Earth and Space Science
  • Dates used: 2015
I brought my son home from public school part way through the school year. BJU distance learning DVDs and texts were recommended to me, and I got them.
They are the most confusing curriculum I have ever dealt with as far as corrections. The assignments are all over the place in the book, and not all answers are in the answer key. I spend a very large sum of money on this curriculum, thinking it would take LESS work from me, but in fact it takes about 4x more time to correct and assign than any of the other curriculum we are using. For as expensive as it is, it should be far more user friendly. I will not be purchasing this curriculum again. Also, you pay the large amount and still have to return the DVDs in pristine condition at the end of the session. You only have 1 year to use them.

lildeb

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 3, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3-5, 7-8
  • Dates used: 2004-2005, 2012-2014
SPENT WAY TOO MUCH FOR WAY TOO LITTLE = BJU MATH is FUZZY MATH. I just would like to express how much I have loved this program in the past and even from last year, but this year something happened to the customer service department and the nickle and dimming people for teacher resources and teacher support materials. We paid extra from the kit cost for all the subjects Teacher Support Materials expecting to not have to make copies on our printer(there are hundreds)and now we are still having to do that because the pages they sent us are wasted paper. They are papers that the student check mark for completed lessons, not actual lesson plan papers the teachers ask for. They include headers and extra things the teachers never ask for.
We are overseas at US installation and have told them repeatedly that we have a USA post Office because we are a territory. Therefore we can use flat rate boxes and flat rate prices and still receive the items through a USA post Office here on the installation. They wouldn't help us so we ended up paying two yrs in a row over 200 dollars to get the stuff here when it should have only cost around 80.
Last year for 3rd grade we bought the whole kits teachers materials and teachers manuals ...the whole kit and caboodle. We got it all just fine. This year for some strange reason they decided to not include the teachers actual teaching books but send CDs instead. The frustrating part in this is we are spending over a 1000 dollars for curriculum and they never even once told us on the overseas phone call at 5 am our time 5pm their closing time that the Teacher Manuals would be CDs. CDs are not equivalent to physical expensive 75 dollar manuals, but at the same cost.
We are extremely frustrated and every time we have attempted to send in reviews they reject them. They are not foul reviews just negative ones. So there are either no reviews or only good ones on their sight.
I came here to help some other people from making the mistakes with them and to inform people of what is good and what isnt with BJU press that I have experienced. Know your stuff. Read all the details. Even then it still may not be as good as it seems.
They have yet to respond to us about the requests we have made other than generated emails.
The materials are wonderful and my daughter loves the teachers on the hard drive and the choice to have biblical values taught to her everyday through every lesson is one we do not regret other than having to deal with the real people who work for BJU Press in their customer service department.

ksea36

• Reviewed on Monday, April 22, 2013
  • Dates used: 2013
My son is enjoying the 6th grade online DLO Science. He really likes the teacher and finds the videos very interesting. )His favorite subject is Science) I let him choose the chapters in whatever order he likes. He has done 5 chapters so far. I love that he can be independent with it. We will definitly consider another science class in the future.

ksea36