Targeted Reading Improvement Program (TRIP)

Julie Hoffman

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 28, 2007
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I am homeschooling my two sons, the eldest has dyslexia and ADD and it is very hard sometimes to sit with him and give him a reading lesson. I found this program which is designed for homeschooling parents with special needs readers. It wasn't very expensive so I went ahead and bought it. It is a DVD that contains a 30 minute video reading lesson by Mr. Waid plus 20 reading lessons.

The video shows how to use the lessons and Mr. Waid also gives many tips on things you can do to help your child. The lessons consist of three parts: a word list, flashing practice and a story card. The word list and story card can be printed out so your child can hold it in his hand as you do the lesson. The flashing practice consists of letters and numbers that flash on the screen at a predetermined speed (slow, medium or fast) and the student writes down what he sees. My son likes this the best. The story card part of the lesson consists of a story read by a storyteller and then there are simple questions to answer. I have found TRIP as it is called very effective, and a very good value for the price.