Apologia Exploring Creation With Zoology 2

kezguinan

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2, 4 & 6th
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I do agree that the way the material is written is more like a story than reading a boring science textbook. My kids love animals and we completed Zoology 1 last year, so we naturally made the progression to this text.

We completed this book in one semester. Even though I got a ton of books from the library to supplement each unit and we watched every ocean video available to us, it did not have a lot to get us through a year.

We also purchased the science experiment kit that was available online. By the end of the book, I was frustrated how a few of the experiments didn't have a whole lot of science backing. One of the experiments was to make up a game to do q & a. We weren't always successful with the results and I managed to find some experiments online to support the original experiment. I would say that I was disappointed that these didn't always work out, even on a second try.

The zoology series is great for younger students. If you are just wanting your students to get their toes wet in science, this is a start. If you are looking to test some tried and true science theories out, this might not be the program for you. We have chosen a different curriculum that we started last spring and will continue with it this year.

Angelina

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 3, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
This is an incredible book, so unique. Its like going through an elementary version of a marine biology text. Our entire family learned so much going through this. All of my kids looked forward to science last year. We used this as part of a science co-op, so we did the experiments as a group.

It is so versatile, an older student could read it on his/her own, while a younger student would want it read to him/her.

For the most part, the experiments worked. Some we skipped over. You can order an entire experimental kit for any Apologia science class from www.cbd.com to make it easier.

I'd have to say, this could be done in 1/2 a year and then another zoology could be done the second half. The Botany, Astronomy, and Anatomy & Physiology seem more intense and would probably need to be stretched out for the entire year.

MirandaL_99

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 17, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd to 4th
  • Dates used: Currently - 2010
Well we are only in the second lesson and I already love it. My kids I think are a little advanced (especially my son who is like a vacuum - he sucks up all info possible) and they love this. There is reading and you may read a few paragraphs then it'll have a question for narration or dictation. We are trying to do a lesson per week which is working out great. You could probably find another curriculum that goes into more detail and has more tests, but I think this is awesome. We read about the continental shelf and my daughter went and drew a picture (all on her own, not as an assignment) about what she'd learned. I'm glad I found this!!!

samiam

• Reviewed on Monday, April 6, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I love these books. I have never paid too much attention to them, as I tend to look for secular material, also didn't think too much of studying one subject matter for science.
But as I read more about Classical education and Charlotte Mason, I do see the point of doing a in-depth study of one subject, versus just touching on many subjects.
Once I actually saw the book ( a friend had it), and read the first couple of chapters, I loved it. The books are just beautiful, with full color pictures. The books are written to the child. My 5th grader does this almost completely on his own. I do read the chapter ahead of him, just so I know what he is learning. I also print out the Vocab (bold words in the chapter) and Chapter Questions, which he fills out as he reads the chapter. I assign 2-4 pages a day of reading, adding in a notebooking assignment, ocean box day, experiment day, and test day, so we take about 2 weeks per chapter. My son's Ocean Box is so cool to look at. My DS loves this book and does not complain at all.
My son recently went on a field trip to a Marine BioScience center, which was all about Ocean life. There were approx 20 students on the trip, ranging from 3rd-6th grade. Some had use this book this year, or in previous years, other's had not. My son, answered 6 out of the 10 questions the docents asked the group. He just KNEW what the information, all from this book.

I recently bought the Astronomy book and we will be using that next year. Can't wait for the Anatomy book to come out!!!