Systematic Math

Scottswife

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 10, 2013
  • Grades Used: 8th- math rescur
  • Dates used: 2013
My daughter has never been a fan of math. At this point we are on lesson 11. She is doing it and enjoying it. We went through a regular math curriculum, then because it didn't seem to register, she went on and did some "key to " series to hopefully make it a little more clear then she moved on to math rescue. Our theory was we would rather have her very grounded, then move on and not have a clue about anything! So Math rescue has been a hit. She says she finally gets it! I will definately move on with their programs when finished with Math Rescue!

chris4Christ

• Reviewed on Friday, December 2, 2011
  • Grades Used: Math Rescue
  • Dates used: 7 weeks
I used this with my 14/15yo dd to fill in gaps and help her to understand the whys of math and not just the do this approach.

We had used many different math programs trying to fix what the schools had messed up and I was wanting something to prepare her for Algebra. When I called and asked SM about our situation, I was told that Math Rescue would prepare her for Algebra.

No, not really. We are halfway through Math Rescue and I am returning it to SM.

Pros-
Helps to understand and workout word problems better.
Short lessons-15-35 mins. long
Has an actual teacher using a white board with students in the class, asking questions.
There are data and study sheets that accompany lessons.

Cons-
There is no table of contents at all.
The scope & sequence does not line up with a typical pre-algebra curriculum.
It is a pain to pop in the cd to put on lessons and another one to provide answers and worksheets.
The teacher writes very sloppy on the board to the point of not being able to read the numbers-very confusing at times.
The teacher mumbles.
There are no solutions at all. If you can't help your student, you have to call SM and that is very inconvenient.
There are only five lessons that address decimal and percents-not each-but both topics.
After the fractions, decimals, and percents-the rest of the program takes an odd turn and starts teaching interest on mortgages, compound interest, more business math and finally a ridiculous amount of on-typical geometry.

I think the people at SM are good people,taking the time to initially answer your questions. This math curriculum is not at all what I expected and I had no way of knowing until it was in my hands.

I will say that this would be good for adults who want to brush up on math in the real world, but definitely not to prepare for Algebra.
There is no

chchms

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 9, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd grade
  • Dates used: 1/09-4/09
I LOVE this program! This program teaches you why not just how. I wish someone would have taught me this way!My son struggled with memorizing addition facts and now his is able to figure them out. He learned all his 9, 10 and 11 facts in about one week!!!!
The program came with a data cd so I'll be able to reuse with my
daughter. The lessons are on video ( not the best quality but it gets the job done) I do wish it came with more practice sheets though.The price is right and I don't think I will use anything else.

Texas Cowgirl

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 3, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I am writing this review specifically about "Math Rescue." I am using it with a child who is 15 1/2 and has been struggling with math for several years. I have tried various programs and while he does the work and finishes the book, retains very little.
NOT SO with "Math Rescue."
The dvds are not extremely professional, but they are easy to watch. The lessons vary in length from ~10-30 minutes.
My son can't really explain WHY this program is different but his younger sister (who is now using the program for Algebra) says it is because the teacher understands what makes your brain hurt, so he explains it in a way that you can think about it. (She was using BJU dvds with no problem but watched the videos with her brother and decided to switch).
I think the price is very fair. The best thing about the program: there is a money back guarantee. If you try it and don't like it... you aren't out anything but the shipping.