Rod & Staff History

kanda

• Reviewed on Friday, March 20, 2015
  • Grades Used: 3th-6th
  • Dates used: 2012-present
Rod and Staff History is great as an independent course your kids can do on their own. It's a straight forward textbook, where the kids can just read the lesson and do the questions. I love how kids need to draw their own maps and label them, not just fill in a pre-made map. I supplement the books by going through Christine Miller's All Through the Ages and finding corresponding biographies and historical fiction relevant to what the kids are learning. All you need is one textbook and a TM, and you're set. Yet one more reason I love Rod and Staff: their simplicity and ease of use.

nonsuperfluous

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 15, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd-7th
  • Dates used: 2010-2014
Our daughter enjoys history from more than one publisher's perspective. Rod & Staff became her and my favorite. BJU's favoritism of democratic government, out of order chronology, and use of large terms plodded history along. Sonlight's choice of core reading materials, plagued by orphan after orphan making their way through the violence of life, became redundant. While Rod & Staff delivered excellent chronology, wisdom in community life and movement, and Biblical application.
If your family, or church, needs an exceptional church history book, please, consider Understanding THE OLD WORLD from grade 7. After very sensible comparisons of different regions in the world, the history of the beginning of man to 1700 A.D. depicts God's faithfulness to keep His remnant of believers during good and evil times. Details of place, name, and time come alive with maps, charts, and color pictures. As a person once certified as a K-12 Bible specialist, I recommend this series...especially, grade 7.

gallred1

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 3, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd & 4th
  • Dates used: 2010- present
After homeschooling for 13 years, I have found Rod & Staff and LOVE IT!!!! We have used their 2nd and 4th grade social studies. My children enjoy the format of the books especially "traveling" to other countries with other children. I appreciate the rich vocabulary for each lesson, the map studies (in 4th grade the students create a geography notebook using the black lines included in the back of each book), and the questions for further study which provoke thinking in my children... always a plus:)

My children have learned and retained the information presented which hasn't always been the case with other curriculum. The prices are very inexpensive. Most of all, I love that my children are getting a Biblically based, sound education.

tamimayberry

• Reviewed on Monday, June 18, 2012
  • Grades Used: 4th and 8th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I have used Rod and Staff for several years for different subjects for my four homeschoolers. This year we chose to do R and S History and Science. My 4th and 8th graders loved it. I feel like since it is written in storybook form, it is more interesting to my children and they seem to remember important things so much more. I love Rod and Staff and will continue to use their products!