Rod & Staff Spelling

Click for more information about Rod & Staff Spelling

MayberryMommy

• Reviewed on Monday, March 6, 2017
  • Dates used: 2000-present
I have use this series off and on for quite a few years. I like books 2-5 the best because they are workbooks. I wish the 6-8 books were, too.

My children work fairly independently through these. The lessons never take long. There is comfort in knowing this base is being covered with minimal effort on my part.

I do like studied dictations for spelling and do use that method (via LLATL and also Spelling Wisdom sometimes), but Rod and Staff spelling is like a shot in the arm booster to make sure they are getting instruction.

Recommended.

Symbablue

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 4, 2015
  • Dates used: 2009-2015
We have used Rod & Staff Spelling for years. My son struggled with spelling using other curriculum and I was drawn to the ease of R & S. He used grade 5-8. Last year he took the Iowa basic test and scored his highest score in Spelling! What a pleasant surprise. It took him from his worst subject to his best. So thankful for this curriculum. My daughter has now used grade 3-5 and she has never struggled with spelling. My children are very different learners and this is the only subject/curriculum that they have both used!

SarahMarie

• Reviewed on Friday, March 6, 2015
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
I really, really appreciate Rod and Staff Spelling. My son has used it for two years and at the end of the 3rd grade book he tested on a diagnostic test at the 5th grade level! His spelling test scores are excellent week after week. His spelling is excellent is most of his written work. I like that he is able to complete the assignments on his own, for the most part. I give little helps here and there and then the test on Friday! I have to be honest, though, that my son my be naturally a good speller, so this curriculum helps him to better his skills without a lot of effort. I am very, very happy with the results!

ErinD

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 16, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd-5th
  • Dates used: 2010-13
R&S is the perfect spelling program.

- the lessons are broken down into small sections that can be done in about 20 minutes or less, 2-3x per week (depending on the level)
- students can work independently
- phonics rules are a focus
- some people say the word lists are too easy but the real meat of the program is in the exercises, not the words themselves. And I have found that by about 4th grade, the words really aren't "too easy" anymore
- in 7th-8th grade it transitions from focusing on phonics and spelling rules to focusing on Latin and Greek roots. Although we aren't there yet, I am really looking forward to this word study.
- I have found that my kids are not only learning to spell but also vocabulary and how to follow specific instructions
- very inexpensive! and from 6th grade up the book is a hard text that can be re-used