Rod & Staff Spelling

SarahMarie

• Reviewed on Friday, March 6, 2015
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
I really, really appreciate Rod and Staff Spelling. My son has used it for two years and at the end of the 3rd grade book he tested on a diagnostic test at the 5th grade level! His spelling test scores are excellent week after week. His spelling is excellent is most of his written work. I like that he is able to complete the assignments on his own, for the most part. I give little helps here and there and then the test on Friday! I have to be honest, though, that my son my be naturally a good speller, so this curriculum helps him to better his skills without a lot of effort. I am very, very happy with the results!

ErinD

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 16, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd-5th
  • Dates used: 2010-13
R&S is the perfect spelling program.

- the lessons are broken down into small sections that can be done in about 20 minutes or less, 2-3x per week (depending on the level)
- students can work independently
- phonics rules are a focus
- some people say the word lists are too easy but the real meat of the program is in the exercises, not the words themselves. And I have found that by about 4th grade, the words really aren't "too easy" anymore
- in 7th-8th grade it transitions from focusing on phonics and spelling rules to focusing on Latin and Greek roots. Although we aren't there yet, I am really looking forward to this word study.
- I have found that my kids are not only learning to spell but also vocabulary and how to follow specific instructions
- very inexpensive! and from 6th grade up the book is a hard text that can be re-used

thebetancourt6

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 28, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
We have used Rod & Staff Spelling by Sound & Structure for 2 years now, and love it! We were referred to this spelling program by My Father's World curriculum, and it has been the perfect fit for our young son. The ease of use with the spelling lessons has been a major plus, especially since our son is learning how to be a little more independent with some of his studies. My personal favorite part of Rod & Staff is that not only is Bible scripture integrated in everything, it is the basis of everything being taught. The lessons are simple, but not too easy. Our child has learned what he needs to at this age, and the yearly books simply build upon what he is currently learning through spelling. We just ordered Rod & Staff for 4th grade, and he's already looking forward to it. That says a lot!

mrsjshields

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: grade 3
  • Dates used: current
Rod and Staff Spelling 3 is wonderful! My 8 year old son failed every spelling test last year, we were using A Reason For Spelling. This year we started Rod and Staff and he has gotten 1 "B" and 2 "A's" so far! He is enjoying the program!

So thankful and amazed at how well he is doing! I am one happy mommy!