Noeo Science Physics I

tennmom

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 6, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
Okay- I loved Noeo's Biology I, but Physics I has been a different experience.

Pros- I loved SOME of the books! DD loved the same ones. I still think the experiments go very well with what we are learning. So....pretty good experiments and some good books. Oh yeah, and the TM is always laid out well and easy to follow.

Cons- Some of these books are like jumping into the water and not knowing how to swim! The Michael Farraday book was a good biography for those of us who know the basics of electricity, but why on earth would they assume that the students know this...isn't that what they're supposed to be learning. It didn't make any sense to DD or myself. She was next to tears everyday that we read it. I had to go out and buy a magic school bus book about electricity and just switch to that. The musical instrument book!!! It had some tiny interesting sections here and there, but it was mostly print with hardly any pictures to capture dd imagination or show her what they were talking about. The thing that did interest her was all of the instruments you could make out of supposed "household" materials which were not included in this expensive curriculum. I felt like this was a much harder curriculum to understand and follow than the Biology.

I worry that maybe I just didn't teach it well, but this was my experience and how I felt about it, I hope it's helpful.

stephanie c

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 27, 2007
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: February 2007- present
I have tried a couple different science curricula, but Noeo Science is definitely the one for my family. My son loves to do experiments everyday and he loves to read so I can't imagine a better program. It is extremely easy for me to teach and it has the lesson plans laid out in an easy to follow book. The experiments are very simple and don't take long and so far, they have worked everytime, so there is instant gratification. The books that are included are so bright and colorful and very easy to understand. Noeo has made science fun, my sons favorite subject and because of it's simpicity I look forward to using and we both learn. Ihope this is helpful. Stephanie C

Cindy in MA

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 22, 2006
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2006
At first, this looked like this would be a good balance of real books and hands on.
This program uses an IG, real books, and kits from the Young Scientists Club.

We tried to make this work, but we dreaded it. It was absolutely boring. For the money you spend on this curriculum, you could do it yourself using the same library books, getting a member ship to the Young Scientists Club and be done with it. It is way overpriced for what they offer.

I was extremely dissapointed.

Larissa

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 17, 2006
  • Grades Used: 1st and 3rd
  • Dates used: 2006-7
After 8 years of homeschooling, I have finally found an elementary school science program that we can really use and enjoy. I love that the planning is done for me. I just open the book and follow the guide. My children love that there are plenty of hands-on activities, and I love that they are simple to do, with materials included or easily found around the house. I am also happy that the experiments tie directly to the reading. We did sonlight a few years ago, and it was very frustrating to have experiments that had nothing to do with what we were learning.

My 3rd grader says science is her favorite subject. My 1st grader is learning a lot, and even my four-year old often joins us and insists on doing a page for his notebook. My older children are also doing physics (high school and middle school levels), so my younger kids enjoy studying "real science" just like older siblings. My father, who was an engineer and high school physics teacher, was really impressed with the material we are covering at such a young age.

I have tried many other science curriculum, but Noeo is definitely our favorite. I will be purchasing biology and chemistry for the next 2 years. Big thumbs up here!