BJU Press Reading & Literature (Bob Jones)

tashamc

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 11, 2011
  • Dates used: 2011
Best ever. No further explanation necessary! BJU Reading program is strong, yet not too difficult and not too easy. The 6th grade program is the best year of all. Full of fantastic reads all compiled together in one nice text. The WorkText workbooks are a must. Thoughtful questions about what you have read, how you feel about it, inferences.... not just your standard reading comprehension. Lots of life-lessons built-in throughout the stories. The 6th grade year remains nice and innocent, without being baby-ish at all. I can't recommend this enough!
In my opinion, you do not need the teachers manual/edition. Just the student text (which has all of the reading stories in it) the student worktext (workbook that goes along with what they are reading) and the teachers version of the worktext (worksheet answers)

NicoleMPratt

• Reviewed on Monday, January 31, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
I couldn't ask for a better reading curriculum than this. My kids are excited about reading the stories. It is challenging with lots of new vocab words in each and every story. The stories aren't too short where you don't learn anything but they aren't too long so that you get bored reading them either.

The worktext is great also, it relates new concepts to each of the stories read. The worktext is challenging but the kids enjoy learning the concepts and are able to complete it on their own.

Great for my struggling daughter who doesn't like to sit still, this curriculum actually keeps her attention and gets her excited about reading.

momof2boys

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 20, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 4th
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
We used BJU for 3rd and 4th grade and will be going back to it for 6th grade. We didn't do BJU for 5th, mainly because we decided to simply have ds read good books all year. We're going back because BJU is simply the best reading curriculum I've ever seen!!!
The stories are plentiful and very rich in content, vocabulary, action, adventure, you name it. The texts include a great deal of historical fiction, which ties in beautifully with social studies class, as well as many other quality literary selections. The texts are very colorful, engaging, and not boring at all. The fourth grade texts includes stories about the Yukon, Kit Carson, Abraham Lincoln, William Shakespeare, Charles Lindbergh, John Wesley, Beatrix Potter, Benjamin Harrison, and real missionaries, to name a few. It covers events such as WWII, Pony Penning Day at Chincoteague Island, the Pony Express, the American Revolution. It also includes plenty of fanciful fiction, tall tales, and poetry.
The worktext is challenging, to say the least. It isn't simple fill in the blank work, but includes a lot of thinking types of questions.
We don't use the TM. I purchased it for 3rd grade, but quickly became overwhelmed. So, I trimmed it down to just the main reading text and the worktext, and believe me, that covers plenty of material!
There is nothing lacking in this program, nothing at all. I can't think of a single thing to improve upon!
This curriculum gets an A+++++ from our family!

Susan

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
  • Grades Used: 2,4,5, 2nd edition
  • Dates used: 2005-2007
We have enjoyed this reading program. I don't use all of the books.....mainly because of money and time. I am sure that we are missing some things by not using all the teacher books, but I feel that they are gaining so much from the stories and the workbook.

I use the student text, worktext and the teacher worktext (for answers so I don't have to read all the stories myself.......even though I would love to because they look so interesting).

The stories teach such great moral values and they are biblical. The worktexts have lots of variety with colorful pages dealing with such topics as these......puzzles, vocabulary, plot, alliteration, topic sentences, dictionary work, metaphors, comprehension, Bible study, encyclopedia usage and a whole lot more!!!!!!!!

My kids actually ask to do reading first!!!!!!!