Growing With Grammar

julie.brooks

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 30, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
We started using Writing With Grammar after Christmas along side First Language Lessons-which we used since the beginning of the school year. We like First Language Lessons, but we wanted a more writing-intensive program (Language Lessons is more orally structured). My daughter really enjoys the lessons and that is half the battle especially for our easily distracted little girl.

She hasn't retained all the information we have covered, however, I think most kids don't. Repetition at each grade level along with maturity helps the information to be retained. We will continue using both programs for 3rd grade.

Grammar without tears is always a good thing:)

narnia

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 24, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012
This is a good program, but I've always used Rod & Staff. In my opinion, Rod and Staff is a superior english curriculum. If R&S isn't to your taste, then this is the next best. After giving this program a try, I found it to be a little more boring than what we were used to.Where R&S makes it easy to do a lot of the lesson orally, it is not as easy with GWG, although it can be done.

tracylynn75

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 11, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
This was a very thorough and very gentle Grammar program. Clear and independent. I like that it is only 3 days a week as well!

kalanamak

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 24, 2012
  • Dates used: 2009-2012
Growing With Grammar has been our mainstay for grammar. I picked it because I liked the print/appearance, the pleasant top spiral, and because of good reviews on a hs forum.

We started the old combined 1/2 book halfway through 2nd grade and covered it in 9 months. This put us in book 3 a couple months into 3rd, and we started 4 just as our 4th grade started. We'll complete it and move onto 5 in May of 2012. It takes us about 9 months to do a book, and since we year round, we are moving ahead a bit. We do 15 two page spreads a month, and it has been generally painless. Aside from art and music, it is the only book we have not had one tear over.

I consider GWG a spiral program, with each topic (nouns, verbs, etc) done in order each year, with more topics introduced each year. The repeated topics are done at a more complex level each year, as well. Diagramming is slowly introduced in level 3. I have needed to take a day out here and there and reinforce some topics (helping verbs and predicate nouns vs. direct objects, e.g.) but this has been rare for us, and I haven't found it burdensome or difficult to tackle at all.

The website is easy to poke around in and view samples. I've emailed the owners a couple of times and have always gotten prompt replies. They ship quickly.

You can order a set of tests, and if you don't want to test but feel extra practice would be helpful, the tests can be used that way as well.

I have read several posts on hs forums by families who have switched programs because "my child wasn't retaining anything". While these are in the minority, it has been the only disenchanted theme I've seen on GWG, so I'd like to address it. I felt this way at first but didn't switch out of inertia, no urge to try another unknown, but also out of a trust that this program would build upon itself and all would be right in the end. For us, my trust was well-placed, and grammar "clicked" for kiddo about halfway through 3.

How I do it: I glance at the topic ahead of time and perhaps introduce a new word (e.g. I broke down the word preposition on the blackboard) or idea ("Would you sit down? The boy sat down. Sit down now! -- What do you hear differently in those sentences?"). Next, kiddo reads the text to me. I ask him to explain in his own words what the section was about, and if he has any questions or feels confident to go to the workbook. Once it is out, I glance at the sections. Some I have him do independently, but most I sit with him for the first couple. If it is a tricky thing for him we go through it together, and I make a point of doing some extra examples on the board the next day. This takes me 3 minutes. The first 2 books, since we started when he was 7.5, I needed to do NO extras at all.

In summary I am very pleased with this program and encourage others to try it. I've looked over level 5, and I'm excited about moving on. At this point I suspect we will do all 8 levels.