A+ Algebra 1

coffeebean

• Reviewed on Monday, March 28, 2011
  • Grades Used: 8 grade
  • Dates used: Just began March 2011
While attending a homeschool conference in Greenville, SC, I stopped by the A+ booth. My 8th grade son has struggled with Saxon for months. Not that he can't do the algebra, just with the way Saxon presents lessons. Long story, short, I purchased A Fresh Approach: Algebra 1. Worked through first chapter which is basically a review of pre-algebraic math and tested. While grading test, noted order of ops not followed. Emailed author. Waiting to hear from her. Will update.

**Update** Ms. Walters did reply. We discovered the error was on our end.

However, after implementing this product for a month, I've come across issues, not with the information, but its arrangement. Odd answers which are located in the back of the student text do not have complete solutions. Even numbered problem solutions are provided in the additional answer key which must be purchased separately. Seriously, this is tedious when checking problems. While I do assign only odds for the first attempt, with no solution provided, I must take time to work problems my student gets wrong. Thankfully, I am not intimidated by algebra =) In addition, chapter tests are frustrating in that the test is labeled at the top with the chapter title while the answer key is labeled with the chapter number. One more thing, chapter number nor title is indicated on pages within the chapter; thus one must use a bookmark or spend time flipping through pages repeatedly.

littledelgados

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 7, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008
Last year we used this product. I just remember my son having a lot of questions. Even on review test. So I thought he wasn't learning. We switched to tabletclass. It is much more effective and the videos are like having the instructor in front of him with a chalk board. We started with the free trial. It's worth looking into.

hsmomof5

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 20, 2007
  • Grades Used: 10th-
  • Dates used: 2007-
To the previous poster,
Are you speaking of A+ Algebra I by Christy Walters? Her site is

It sounds like you are confused or perhaps mistakingly reviewed the wrong curriculum. She doesn't have a help area on her site.
I have spoken with Ms.Walters on several occasions and she will tutor via phone if you have any trouble with her curriculum.

If you ARE having difficulties with her curriculum, I'm sure if you will call the number on her site, she will be more than happy to assist you.

Sounds like you are speaking of SOS (Switched On Schoolhouse).

michianagrl95

• Reviewed on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
  • Grades Used: Seventh Grade
  • Dates used: 2007
Ok the websites that they have on the curriculum to help show you what the lesson is about in the SOS does not work! I have complete internet connection, and some of the websites are there own and they don't work either. They come up as unknown or have never been on the internet. Some of them work, but still I am getting soooooo ticked off at the ones that do NOT work! I really do like this curriculum a lot, but when you don't know what the websites have on them and it might help you with a quiz or test then you really do need to see those websites!