Accelerated Achievement

akparker

• Reviewed on Monday, August 22, 2011
  • Grades Used: just purchased
  • Dates used: 2011
I recently purchased Accelerated Achievement and have been looking through what's available on the CD. My conclusion is that it is a useful resource, but not as fully fleshed a curriculum as I'd like it to be. The book selections for each grade seem fantastic and challenging, and the language arts program with the Mcguffey readers is pretty strong. However, the sentence building cards came with a lacking explanation--not all the parts of speech were explained. It's easily fixed with a search on the internet, but I'd still appreciate more guidance. The math worksheet generator is an amazing resource, but not a through math program. I plan on using it in conjunction with Math Mammoth and other supplements for a more thorough approach. It doesn't include a science curriculum (which the creator is very upfront about), but it does include a list of what might be appropriate to cover for each grade level. Overall, I like having it, but it's a little more old fashioned and not quite as thorough as I hoped. Perhaps when I'm a seasoned homeschooler I'll appreciate more the flexibility. I have already joined the yahoo support group for Accelerated Achievement and seen Paul, the creator, answer questions quickly. I appreciate that.

love2homeschool

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 23, 2010
  • Grades Used: k,1st,2nd
  • Dates used: 2007-present
When I say A2 is the best thing that happened in our kids' education, I am not exxagerating. I never knew about homeschooling until I needed it for various reasons. But, once we decided this was our road, I was so overwhelmed by all the curricula out there and the pricing. There was NO WAY I could spend the amount needed on the few curriculums I came across that I liked. On one of my "search" nights, I came across A2. WOW! Too good to be true, I thought. Well, it's the real deal. I have successfully taught my dd how to read, write, add, subtract--ALL w/ A2 (she continues to improve everything w/ new McGuffey's readers each yr, higher level math and spelling w/ word lessons which weren't until 3rd grade--her request--so we did). We have started covering American History w/ the one-syllable books this "year". I am in the process of teaching my ds how to read w/ the phonics games. Printing and cutting these card games out is a small price to pay in time for knowing you have the tools to teach your child. I just printed them out and cut them one game at a time at night. If you want everything to be "ready to go" in a fancy box along with the fancy price, this may not be for you. I didn't realize a classical education is what I was seeking and am SO happy the creator of this curriculum has kept it affordable for ALL. The math worksheet generator is great--you don't have to wait until the curriculum says "you can go on to the next level"--you decide and know if your child can and do. The scope and sequence included have been a tremendous help--it's great to see what's coming up w/o having to wait for your new year's curriculum like with other high end products. Science is and isn't included...I don't mind this approach--I love it. You get a list of what should be covered EACH year and you and YOUR child (or just you) decide what/when to cover. My kids love being a part of the decision for part of their education since the 3R's are a requirement not a choice. My daughter knows more in 2nd grade as far as grammar is concerned than some regular 4th graders I've met:). I'm not showing off--this is thanks to A2's grammar game (you do print/cut) which she loves. Most of the required reading I've checked out from the library or bought used on the cheap. My kids LOVE learning even though we do reading, writing and math everyday--isn't that what it's about. I know reg. school kids that don't do this everyday and dread it when they do?? My rating: A+++++/10 out of 10. I wouldn't have it any other way.

shallman

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
  • Grades Used: 5th-11th
  • Dates used: 2006-2010
I am so glad that I have been able to use this curriculum in my homeschooling. I have homeschooled for about 8 years, and have purchased many expensive "boxed" curriculum, and I have found that A2 has given me much more, and has made it easy to customize in any way that helps our particular needs. In the earlier grades, I found the math text and worksheet generator to be an excellent source of helping my children learn the basics, and move forward to more complex math instruction. The Grammar lessons are challenging, and we have had no trouble accessing the answer keys, posted on the Yahoo group website. My children excel in Vocabulary, Reading and Writing, and I appreciate the classical style of teaching these disciplines. We especially enjoyed the copywork, with the timeless quality of good sense and moral values passed on in the copywork. The selections are quite extensive also! Yes I have at times supplemented with a specific "extra", but could have done without it , if I really had to! You cannot get a better complete curriculum that is superior to this one and yet extremely affordable. All my questions have always been addressed and the group discussions have always led me to excellent resources, especially websites offering free or inexpensive educational tools. I have never seen anything else that covers every grade level as this does. The scope and sequence has been a great help for me too! I rate Accelerated Achievement as A++++++++++++!!

smlukes

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
  • Grades Used: K, 1, 5, 7
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
I love this curriculum. It is so easy to use and really does have everything included. As for Science it tells you everything you need to learn for the year and you can look the stuff up at the library or online.
I use it for my son and nephews (who are in 5th and 7th grade). Being that is self-learning it makes it alot easier for my nephews to do it when they are at their mom's and I'm not around to help them.
I love the yahoo group where there are lots of people there that can help you. There are also files and extra books on there. There isn't an answer key on the cd for the English but there is 2 available to download on the yahoo group.
I absolutely love this curriculum and am planning on using it for years to come.