Christian Liberty Press Bible

heavenlyhoney

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 10, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008-09
We used Studying God's Word B when my son was in 1st Grade. The lessons are nicely broken up, short & sweet.

I liked the idea of Studying God's Word and the way the books are set up, however, they contain a very obvious Reformed/Calvinist slant and since our family does not believe the same way, I stopped using the series.

VickieM

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 8, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3th-up
  • Dates used: 2007-still
We've done 3 books so far & plan on continuing with the rest of the series.
If you start in book E, it takes you through the Bible.
They are well made workbooks that each child could fill out, but we use ours as our daily Bible study. I let the children work together on the puzzles & activities or sometimes make a copy so they can each do one.
They are pretty inexpensive & a great addition to our day.

el1zabeth

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 3, 2008
  • Grades Used: k,2nd,6th
  • Dates used: 2008
I'm not thrilled with the kindergarten version of this curriculum. There is no color, and it has alot of Bible reading and fill in the blanks. Bible reading is good, however for a little one, in moderation. Besides that here is my issue: If a child is just learning how to read, how is she supposed to fill in all of the blanks in the workbook? Is that my job? I am homeschooling three other children, so I don't really feel like I have time to sit and fill in blanks for my kindergartener, who will probably not remember any of it anyway. My oldest dd is bored out of her mind with it too.She says it is awfully drab, and just looking up answers, and filling in blanks. I have to say the second grade one is good. For whatever reason the second grade book has coloring, and cut and paste, so it is something my son can do at least partly on his own, and he enjoys it. Well, there's my two cents.:)

Em & D's Momma

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 5, 2007
  • Grades Used: Studying God's Word Book C - Old Testament
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
We purchased this workbook for my 8 yr. old daughter to use as an independent Bible course in addition to our regular homeschool Bible curriculum. I was looking for a daily lesson format and, unfortunately, this workbook does not provide that.

Instead, 29 lessons incorporate a scripture reading, a short discussion story and two pages of activities to reinforce the lesson. You could probably purchase the student book alone and be fine, but the slim Teacher's Manual offers helpful suggestions to "stretch" the lessons over the course of a week.

I do not plan to use this as initially intended. Instead, we will do one lesson weekly - on Wednesday evenings - for our family devotion. It's easily adapted to a range of ages, so we shouldn't have much problem with our 8 yr. old and 4 yr. old following along.

I would recommend this for a Sunday School-type class or weekly children's Bible study.

As for the reformed/Calvinistic leanings, Christian Liberty doesn't seek to hide their views in the resource/materials catalog. Although we are not reformed in theology, I cannot see any problems with this particular book. In reviewing the catalog (which we received yesterday) the upper grades begin to delve into doctrinal studies, utilizing the Westminster Confession and catechism. Many of their upper-level materials are also noted as "Reformed - Presbyterian."

Recommended, but not for solo study by the student.