Saxon Advanced Math

hs.alix

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 13, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Excellent book, rigorous instruction, enjoyable learning experience.

I started Advanced Math in June 2010 and am about to finish it (March 2011) and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a solid math curriculum for high school. It is very, very time consuming (2-3 hours a day if you want to complete one lesson every day), but practice makes perfect, and good results come with a healthy dose of effort. The repetition of concepts is great because it allows even slower students to prepare for calculus---something which many of them would not have dared dream about before they started Saxon Advanced Math.

A couple things which could be improved on are the instructions for the use of a graphing calculator when performing linear regression and single-variable analysis, and it would also be great if Lesson Reference Numbers could be added in the manual vs. only in the solutions manual.

If you try this book, be prepared: buy the solutions manual, complete some work *every single day* of the week (I find that weekend breaks make me forget a lot of what I've learned over the week), perhaps find a tutor (if necessary), and don't get discouraged!! When you finish it, you'll be very proud of yourself!

12dozen

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 19, 2007
  • Grades Used: 10th grade
  • Dates used: 2003-04 & 2006-07
Advanced Math was a great course for both of our sons. Both finished it in the 10th grade. The oldest went into a university calculus course his junior year and was top in his class! The younger will be taking the same calculus course next year. The liason for high school students at the university was well aware of the Saxon program and felt it prepared students very well for entrance into the calculus class. We used the DIVE into Math CDrom to accompany the course. We have used Saxon since grade 4 and have never been disappointed in it.

architectlink

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 2, 2006
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
We just began a homeschool program with Saxon math this year and now my son LOVES math.

This is one of the most organized workbooks and textbooks I have ever used (unlike Shurley Grammar, which is extremely unorganized for the teacher).

Make sure the child does the practice session in the little box at the beginning of each chapter...these practice sessions make them more adept at math over time.