Saxon Calculus

david12345

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 27, 2008
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
Please, don't use this book. I am using it now because that is the only book our homeschool co-op uses.

First, I respect Mr. Saxon very much for what he as done for our country as he was a pilot in the Korean war.

However, I think he did much better in the cockpit than writing math books.

I have never hated math so much after using Saxon math. The biggest thing is, is that I can't move on to a new concept. I am completely bored doing the same types of problems over and over and over and over again. I understand the materials, and I want to move on. I feel like I am wasting my time doing trivial math problems which I know. I only want to move on.

This math curriculum may be best for those who struggle with math and can't seem to remember it very long. It may also be for those who enjoy endless math problems without any meaning.

Also, there is no logic to how the book is set up. It is not like a normal textbook where the lessons progress in sequence. In other words, one lesson covers a concept, and the next lesson doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. It is confusing, and I can't seem to learn anything.

I would highly recommend checking out Chalk Dust Math. I absolutely love math when I used to use Chalk Dust. In fact I constantly find myself referring to my old Chalk Dust books to help me through Saxon.