Apologia Exploring Creation with Chemistry

Trishy

• Reviewed on Monday, February 3, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
This review is actually for RED WAGON Online Chemistry.

Apologia texts are awesome. I've used them for three students (Physical Science, Biology, and Chemistry). I have no problem with the textbook or the format.

However, RED WAGON online classes...different story altogether! I'm not going to complain too much about the live lectures. Most students find them engaging and informative. One of the complaints my student did have with the lectures is that on multiple occasions, the teacher promised questions at the end and then many times, there would be no time left for questions.

Formatting for formal lab reports and clear, concise instructions for writing them are woeful. Examples are given, but specific breakdowns on these examples of why and what is good/bad about them does not exist.

Be prepared for terse, arrogant, and downright rude replies via email to the parent or student having difficulties understanding the expectations or formatting or asking for feedback on assignments turned in. Perhaps, this instructor has far too many students to provide answers to questions not asked (if there is enough time) during lecture time or perhaps this company is large enough that customer service with a polite attitude is not considered important. I'm not sure.

However, I DO have experience with other online classes and lecturers for far less cost. Do I think the lectures are informative and that the instructor is deeply informed of the subject? Absolutely. However, giving awesome lectures is only a part of the recipe for conducting online classes.

I'm concerned about leaving a negative review of Red Wagon since it appears that the owner does much to discredit the reviewer of his products if they are negative. However, I just hope it can cause some positive changes for this company. Iron sharpens iron, right?

Maribel

• Reviewed on Saturday, December 21, 2013
  • Dates used: 2013
Apologia Educational Ministries is a Christian faith based homeschool science curriculum. "What began with a single textbook has grown to include a K-12 Creation-based science curriculum, worldview curriculum for ages six to fourteen, practical and inspirational books about homeschooling, refreshing retreats for moms, and online classes from Apologia Academy."

The science program that was given to me to review was Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics. This homeschool science resource uses the Charlotte Mason methodology to introduce children in grades K-6 to chemistry and physics. Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics teaches students about the study of atoms, molecules, simple chemicals, laws of motion, electricity, magnetism, and simple machines.

This homeschool science program uses notebooking journals to help solidify what the student has just learned. The Junior Chemistry & Physics Notebooking Journal for Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics is designed for younger elementary students or for those with limited writing skills. Age appropriate activities include fun and easy experiments, mini books, coloring pages, Scripture copy work, and field trip sheets. A suggested lesson plan is provided for the instructor, making the course ready to use. "How to Use This Book" page is also provided giving the instructor suggestions on how to use the science program.

My daughter and I love Apologia. I love that the homeschool program is Creation based. Every single lesson starts with a verse and coloring sheet. The copywork also involves a verse from the Bible. For example, lesson one implemented the verse "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1:7

In lesson 1, my daughter learned about volume, mass, buoyancy, matter, Archimedes, and density. "My Matter Projects" made it easy for me to see what my daughter had understood about the lesson. This activity gave her an opportunity to write down what she did for that particular lesson and what she learned. The flap books were another resource that I used to understand what my daughter had grasped from the lesson. The flap book provided the opportunity for her to narrow down what she had learned about every topic.

For every lesson, I would read a few paragraphs and then stop to ask comprehension questions. I wanted to make sure she understood what I was reading. Once we finished a few topics, we would try the experiments. The "Try This" experiments were my daughter's favorite sections in the whole book. For the first experiment in lesson 1, we played "I Spy." We looked around the room and chose items around us. We had to ask yes or no questions about the item. Each question had to describe the properties of the object.

When she learned about volume, she decided to fill up my bath tub and measure the amount of water. Then she got in the tub and measured the amount of water again. She was able to visually see that volume is the amount of space that something takes. Another "Try This" experiment that we did was the one on buoyancy. We took a pan of warm water, build a ship out of aluminum foil, dropped a few drops of blue food coloring, and added salt. She was suppose to place pennies in the ship and see how many pennies it would hold before it sank. When learning about matter, she completed another experiment found in the book. We went outside and she was to find rocks with geometric shapes. Once she found all of the rocks that she wanted, she drew pictures of them on construction paper. The final project for this lesson was making a lava lamp. From this final experiment, she learned that Alka - Seltzer does not react in vegetable oil. When the Alka - Seltzer was placed in water and vinegar, gas formed.

We loved Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics and we would recommend it.

I have been given this product free of charge for review purposes.

3brightkids

• Reviewed on Monday, October 17, 2011
  • Dates used: 2000 -
LOVED this course. I loved teaching this material to my kids. Having 2 chemistry degrees, I found the material to be a very well written introduction to chemistry. The lab (purchased all in one, lifeaver !) made the class fun for my kids. Having the knowledge of chemistry helped to expand the knowledge base for my kids, that adv chemistry was taught in the mist of this course, and when we got ready for Adv Chem, we had learned much of the text information. Adv Chemistry was not so hard for them and allowed for more experiments.

Not having a strong science background should NOT scare you away from this course. The material is presented for ease of understanding chemistry 101. I would recommend Algebra I if not Algebra II already completed.

Enjoy this course, it is sooooo! much fun.

desertdweller

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 13, 2010
  • Grades Used: 10th-12th
  • Dates used: 2007-2011
This is a good program; however, I would highly suggest you not have your child take this program until after they have finished with Algebra II. I jumped the gun with my daughter, who is not math oriented, after she finished Algebra I. She struggled all the way through the program.
My son, whom I am working with this year, is having no problems understanding the math problems so far, we are in chapter five, but I also waited to have him do this program until after he finished Algebra II. What a difference!
Also, if you don't have the money to spare don't worry about getting the MicroChem Kit...your child won't be missing out on much. The experiments in the book are more than sufficient.