Apologia Exploring Creation with Physical Science

CalmingTea

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 20, 2017
  • Grades Used: 7th, 8th
  • Dates used: 2014-2017
This will be my second time of taking one of my children through this book. Both times, we used an outside teacher. The first time we used Apologia Academy and my son did this in 7th grade. He is a very mature, advanced student, and is extremely organized and finds Science extremely easy. Doing this in 7th grade was actually on the easy side for him. However, he learned to work with a schedule and take online classes and meet deadlines and follow a syllabus, so in that regard it was challenging.

My daughter is taking it through a Homeschool Paid Co-op, and she will take this course in 8th grade. She does not enjoy Science and is not as organized with her study skills, so this will be more challenging for her. The material itself is not super challenging.

I will list some pros and cons here:
Pros:
1. experiments for this course are excellent! The kits from Home Science Tools or Homeschool in the Woods include almost everything you need. We prefer Homeschool in the Woods because they label all materials by Module, in cute little baggies, and they include more items. The experiements actually work!

2. Notebooks: THe notebooks can be a nice useful tool, especially if you are doing this on your own and not with a co-op. Apologia Academy Online requires the use of the Notebooks and it works great because we, the parents, know exactly what they are looking for when we grade the "Notebook Checks." For a co-op its better NOT to use the notebooks, since the students would have to tear them apart to turn in their work :) So, the old binder paper is better in that case.

3. Age appropriate material, font size, book size etc. These books really match the age for an academic (but maybe not Honors level) student who intends to study well and go to college. But they aren't too challenging for most kids.

Cons:

As always, Dr. Wile is so very, very wordy! It can really bother some kids who'd rather just get to the meat of the topic and move on quickly.

He also has some soap box topics that he will beat to death over the course of his textbook series, and even if you agree with him it can get a little old after a while. :)

We find these books much more usable than the Pearson, McGraw Hill, and other science books we've tried. However, if you want something Honors Level for high school, look at Novare.

Also, THIS IS NOT A HIGH SCHOOL book. It was not written or intended for such, so if you use it for high school you may need to supplement.

joep

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 28, 2012
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Text is wordy and lacks depth with regard to scientific information. Text also contains serious errors which should have been corrected in the 2nd edition we used. This subject is clearly not the author's specialty. It would be acceptable as a middle school text but it definitively not high school material.

HSfromthestart

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 15, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Apologia Science for Jr. High and High School is written by a scientist, Dr. Jay Wile, especially for homeschoolers, and for those whose parents may not know a whole lot about science. (that's me!)
In the front of the book, there is an email address and a toll-free number that students can call if they need help. They'll be transferred to the correct teacher. =)
I’ve already called this number many times with questions about the curriculum, and it is now on my speed-dial! =D

Apologia science is written in a conversational way for the student to understand, so there is no teacher book. I've heard it seems wordy, but it doesn’t seem that way to me. When he says something in different ways, that is why I understand it! =) I especially love that he thoroughly explains the experiments and what they are intended to teach. I have understood things reading through the first few of chapters that I never really had before. After 3 days, my 9th grade daughter said she no longer dreads science. YEAH!!! Two cousins are using it also, and after one day, one told me now she really “gets it” about atoms and molecules. The cousins and my daughter are all doing Physical Science, so we are doing experiments at my house! =)

Some people call this science “easy.” Yes, it is very clear, and easy to understand, but not too easy.
Make no mistake; your child will need to study. Some have even called it “college prep.” Don’t let this scare you, either. It is a great course to prepare your child. It is so clearly presented, they will have an excellent understanding if they read carefully and study well.

This science is taught from a Creationist perspective, and yes, it is mentioned often throughout the book. That is why the books are titled Exploring Creation through Physical Science/Biology, etc. (I’ve read reviews where some people did not like God being “thrown in all the time”. I would think from the title they would expect this…)
I do love this because it is teaching my children that God is the reason everything exists, and He knows what He’s doing! What better way to explain this than through Biblical science! The teachings not only have thorough scientific explanations, they also help disprove evolution and other misconceptions. I do not want my kids to be swayed by only being presented one view by the media, which often does not present all the facts... Too many people believe something because “it was on the news.” My children should know the Biblical and scientific answers for these kinds of things.
I’m probably stepping on some toes here! =)

Another blogger's review I found online. I liked this paragraph: "My daughter used this text last year. While she had been exposed to many science topics through books, short-term studies, classes and workshops, Exploring Creation with General Science was the first time I used a comprehensive program for the entire year. It was also my daughter's first exposure to tests, in-home labs and lab reports. In a way, General Science pulled all her previous science experiences together for a big picture view and preparation for more rigorous study."
All I can say is ditto! I realized as we progressed into the book (we are now finishing Module 9 since we switched mid-year), other curriculum are more spiral in their year-to-year approach, whereas Apologia is very thorough. =)

I'm already planning for next year.

momteachr

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 25, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Love it! Apologia keeps things interesting and informative. We also enjoyed Exploring Creation last year, and we'll be going into Biology this fall. Experiments are easy but enlightening. This is a well-thought out way to present the info. and my child is learning a lot.