Apologia Exploring Creation with Physical Science

joep

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 28, 2012
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Text is wordy and lacks depth with regard to scientific information. Text also contains serious errors which should have been corrected in the 2nd edition we used. This subject is clearly not the author's specialty. It would be acceptable as a middle school text but it definitively not high school material.

HSfromthestart

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 15, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Apologia Science for Jr. High and High School is written by a scientist, Dr. Jay Wile, especially for homeschoolers, and for those whose parents may not know a whole lot about science. (that's me!)
In the front of the book, there is an email address and a toll-free number that students can call if they need help. They'll be transferred to the correct teacher. =)
I’ve already called this number many times with questions about the curriculum, and it is now on my speed-dial! =D

Apologia science is written in a conversational way for the student to understand, so there is no teacher book. I've heard it seems wordy, but it doesn’t seem that way to me. When he says something in different ways, that is why I understand it! =) I especially love that he thoroughly explains the experiments and what they are intended to teach. I have understood things reading through the first few of chapters that I never really had before. After 3 days, my 9th grade daughter said she no longer dreads science. YEAH!!! Two cousins are using it also, and after one day, one told me now she really “gets it” about atoms and molecules. The cousins and my daughter are all doing Physical Science, so we are doing experiments at my house! =)

Some people call this science “easy.” Yes, it is very clear, and easy to understand, but not too easy.
Make no mistake; your child will need to study. Some have even called it “college prep.” Don’t let this scare you, either. It is a great course to prepare your child. It is so clearly presented, they will have an excellent understanding if they read carefully and study well.

This science is taught from a Creationist perspective, and yes, it is mentioned often throughout the book. That is why the books are titled Exploring Creation through Physical Science/Biology, etc. (I’ve read reviews where some people did not like God being “thrown in all the time”. I would think from the title they would expect this…)
I do love this because it is teaching my children that God is the reason everything exists, and He knows what He’s doing! What better way to explain this than through Biblical science! The teachings not only have thorough scientific explanations, they also help disprove evolution and other misconceptions. I do not want my kids to be swayed by only being presented one view by the media, which often does not present all the facts... Too many people believe something because “it was on the news.” My children should know the Biblical and scientific answers for these kinds of things.
I’m probably stepping on some toes here! =)

Another blogger's review I found online. I liked this paragraph: "My daughter used this text last year. While she had been exposed to many science topics through books, short-term studies, classes and workshops, Exploring Creation with General Science was the first time I used a comprehensive program for the entire year. It was also my daughter's first exposure to tests, in-home labs and lab reports. In a way, General Science pulled all her previous science experiences together for a big picture view and preparation for more rigorous study."
All I can say is ditto! I realized as we progressed into the book (we are now finishing Module 9 since we switched mid-year), other curriculum are more spiral in their year-to-year approach, whereas Apologia is very thorough. =)

I'm already planning for next year.

momteachr

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 25, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Love it! Apologia keeps things interesting and informative. We also enjoyed Exploring Creation last year, and we'll be going into Biology this fall. Experiments are easy but enlightening. This is a well-thought out way to present the info. and my child is learning a lot.

Joyful Learning

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
Challenging curriculum, easy to understand text and examples, fun experiments. We completed the entire curriculum and can't wait to begin Apologia Biology next year!