Apologia Exploring Creation with Zoology 1

ssurmanfalls

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 19, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2014
I was very excited to purchase this as my very first "official" Science curriculum as I am only in my second year of homeschooling..As I saw the glowing reviews, and let my 8 yr old pick out the edition himself, I was sure this was going to be a winner.. I had picked Christian Light in the Math, Reading, and L.A subjects, and Alpha Omega for History/Geography..Only 2 weeks into the school year, I couldn't have been happier with my other choices, however the Apologia seemed to be so over my son's head! Especially in the beginning when it's supposed to grab his attention, we were looking at subjects such as "bionomial nomenclature," classifications of various animals, {mammalia,) and aerodynamic pressure. Yes, this is science, but I had my 18 yr old daughter look at this, who graduated Summa Cum Laude, and she said she learned most of this in 7th grade and above. My 8 yr. old would just sit there, looking at the ceiling, while I tried to bring this down to his level, and after realizing he still wasn't absorbing the info., I made the decision, to just go and order CLE's Science..(Which I should have done in the beginning.) This has alot of colorful pics, good info, I just feel like if you have an "ancy" typical boy, who's interest has to be kept, this is not the one to pursue..Most of the time would be spent on me reading the entire lesson first, then trying to re-word it for him..It just wasn't for us..

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 5th
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
This is the third book in the Apologia Elementary Science series. Botany and Astronomy are intended to be taught before this book, and you can tell that this book is slightly more advanced than those two. So far my children are enjoying this book. They are learning a lot, and the material is interesting to them. The visited a farm one afternoon, and as soon as they got home they wanted to consult a field guide so they could identify a bird they saw. Science in action!

Like all Apologia Science, the material is Creation-based, and I fully appreciate the extra information the author provides that reinforce Intelligent-design. God's handiwork is brought to the fore-front often. It helps the students to be awed by the creatures around them.

This lessons are engaging for young students. Apologia is skilled at making Science come alive for the younger students and also at making it fun! I personally do not agree with some of the other reviewers' comments regarding Apologia being "dry".

How we use the material: Each day we read about 2 pages of text, and then we do something in supplemental notebooking journal; either answer some questions, write down some facts we learned, or draw pictures, etc. (There is a junior notebooking journal, and it is good for younger students. It has more coloring pages.) We also try to do most of the experiments in the book. I would suggest getting the Lab Kit that is available through CBD or Rainbow Resource. It provides you with most of the necessary materials needed to complete the experiments. The Lab Kit is worth the money!

The only complaint I have received from my children has been that they were getting tired of learning about birds. And I agree that quite a few chapters are devoted to birds. But, the author makes sure that the student comes away having learned something, and my children certainly have gained useful knowledge about birds. :-)

Apologia's strongest asset is its focus on Creation. It helps students to see how awesome their God is.

Angelina

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 3, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
This has been a very interesting book. We are spreading it out over a year, using it in a co-op for my youngest child. It easily could be completed in 1/2 a year because its so interesting and fairly easy to understand.

There aren't really any experiments listed, mainly more notebooking observations.

The range of subjects include insects, birds, bats, and flying reptiles from the past.

We re-arranged the order of the chapters in order to have butterflies/insects/bird nesting in the fall/spring. Bats, flying reptiles, and some basics on birds in the winter. Its worked out nicely.

I really like how the author writes. Its easy to understand and very informative. This is an excellent series.

AprilTX

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st and 5th
  • Dates used: 2009
I am very happy with this book. We have used Botany in the past and now we are using this in a co-op setting. I like this curriculum because it is easy to incorporate for a large age range. I also like the fact that it offers online notebooking pages that correlate with the book.