Apologia Exploring Creation with Botany

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st, 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
This is the first Science curriculum I bought. I had heard great, first-hand reviews of this material, and that is what induced me to try it. I was very glad I did.

The material is Creation-based, and there are so many wonderful facts that are brought out as to just WHY the earth had to be made via intelligent design. Many times I would just stop and tell my children, "Isn't God just awesome?!" :-)

This lessons are engaging for young students, and they are easy for them to comprehend. Apologia is skilled at making Science come alive for the younger students and also to make science fun! I taught this book to my 1st grader and my 3rd grader at the same time, and it was very easy to do so. We also used the supplemental notebook (not the junior versions), and those were a great asset to reinforce the lessons.

Each day we would read about 2 pages of text, and then we would do something in notebook; either answer some questions, write down some facts we learned, or draw pictures of the plants. We also tried to do most of the experiments in the book. There are many to try, and they are all relatively easy. I would suggest getting the Lab Kit that is available through CBD or Rainbow Resource. It provides you with most the necessary materials needed to complete the experiments.

We used this book several years ago, and my children and I still reference the knowledge we gained from this book.

I would say that this is a great first book to start with in the Apologia Science curriuculum.

Ruth Nicholas

• Reviewed on Monday, May 24, 2010
  • Grades Used: 2nd & middle school
  • Dates used: 2009 - current
My oldest struggled with previous Science curriculums.

I was dreading trying to teach kindergarten, 2nd, & middle school at least 7 different subjects. Several subjects need to be repeated on different grade levels. Not to mention we have a 2 - 3 yr old running around this year & a 1 yr old. My husbands gone a lot. . . .how???

Finding Apologia & being able to present 1 science lesson all the children loved!! Both the older ones were able to take their 'OWN' notes. They ALL loved the experiaments! They BEG to do their science lessons. What more could I ask for. Even little A.J. can join in on some of the experiments!!

Plans are to continue with all the Elementary Apologia books and KEEP them to repeat again, as our 'babies' are ready for them. (Yes, another one coming this October.)

I've heard 'VERY' good reviews about the high school science books. As soon as our oldest is 'ready' for high science we will be placing her in those as well!

pixiemom

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 5, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
We have started Botany after several years of using R & S Science.
I always thought R & S showed such a strong appreciation for God in the creation, really made you think. But it was kind of dry, and the experiments weren't very exciting, So we just went through the motions and gleamed good from it as we could.
But since starting Apologia, it is like a breath of fresh air was pumped into our science time! The kids came alive, I am loving teaching it. It is like we have been eating food without flavor, it did the job, but no enjoyment or taste. Apologia gives science flavor!! We do it every day and I realize we spent way more time that we were "supposed to" because we were all enjoying school! Could it be possible?!?! Just had to share, because we really are enjoying it.

kalphs

• Reviewed on Wednesday, December 31, 2008
  • Grades Used: 2009-2010
  • Dates used: Third
After hearing all the rave reviews of this curriculum I decided to order a copy to check it out for myself.
"Exploring Botany" is part of the "Exploring Creation" series authored by Jeannie Fulbright, a former public school teacher now a homeschooling mother. The science series is based on the teachings of Charlotte Mason. The book itself is organized like a basic elementary science text, however it tends to read in a conversational tone, with the teacher talking to the student about a particular science topic. At the end of each section is a science activity to do and a notebook page to make. Interestingly enough we had already done all the science activities with Sonlight Science Cores PreK K-2. Hence we chose the Christian Kids Explore series by Bright Ideas Press to build upon the foundation of scientific knowledge our child has already acquired.
Of all the Elementary Apologia Books in the series this one is the most technical, so I would recommend saving it for when your children are older.