AWANA

sofia

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 6, 2012
  • Grades Used: All
  • Dates used: Many years
Awana is a great program for memorizing verses and studying the Bible. It is a great way for kids to be held accountable for their Bible memorization and for them to have fun at the same time.

crl

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 16, 2009
  • Grades Used: age 3 - grade 1
  • Dates used: 2006 - present
Our family loves AWANA! I worked my way through AWANA and my parents believed in it enough to run the program at our church. Now my DD loves learning more about God and the Bible. It's a great way to get kids learning their Bible while having fun with crafts, games and Bible stories. The award system really encourages my DD to work hard and learn her verses. As a parent helping her, I am remembering verses I learned while involved in the AWANA program so I can attest to it's effectiveness.

Tawni

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 1, 2007
  • Grades Used: PreK- 5th so far
  • Dates used: 2000- current
I didn't realize that Awana was listed on the website or I would have left a review along time ago. The whole family has been involved in Awana for several years. My husband and I are even leaders. It has helped all of us to memorize many verses in the Bible and it is a great outreach to children who may not attend church otherwise. I have a couple of neutral comments though- First, is that much of the verses are geared towards salvation (which is GREAT) but my oldest son,who has heard and memorized many of them through church or home was longing to memorize verses that gave him practical help eveyday. Now that he is in "T and T" (the older age group,) he is learning verses that give answers to questions like "how do you know the Bible is true," "what do I need to know about the Holy Spirit" etc... He seems to have a renewed interest in learning now in this older group. My second comment has to do with socialization. The kids at Awana come from all sorts of backgrounds, family structures etc... As a parent, we guard what sort of influences come into our childrens lives. Our kids have made some good friends there, but there are also some ralationships, and influences that have come into their lives that we could have done with out. We try to use the negative influences though as warning signs to our own children and as opportunities to pray for someone else. As a leader, the fact that there is such a vast range of behaviors from many children can be a frustration. It feels hard at times to reach these kids when some of them just don't seem to have any respect for authority. All in all, Awana is structured, well put together and very rewarding for both children and adults.

gaut705

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 1, 2007
  • Grades Used: Pre-K-K
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I cannot say enough good things about this program. It teaches scripture memory, team-work, through relay races and games, as well as Bible lessons through the "council time." Each child receives a book which they cover throughout the year. The Scriptures that they learn are fundamental to the Christian faith and understanding God.

The program is structured so that children learn within their own age groups and so are able to make friends. My children have blossomed in this program and look forward to it each week. The other thing I like about it is that it draws the parents in to what the children are learning. Parent input is key in assisting the children to learn their verses, so it becomes a "family thing."

The children earn "AWANA" dollars for each section of the book that they cover as well as "jewels" for their crowns. This is a HUGE incentive for them. They get to spend their awana dollars at the "awana" store. The program also incorporates many fun and special activities such as "luau night," a Pinewood Derby, a Carnival night, and other fun activities.

I have seen many other programs--Pioneer Clubs, Olympians, etc. and this one IMO is far above the rest.