Write One

AnneS

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 21, 2009
  • Grades Used: K/1
  • Dates used: 2008-Present
Write One is above grade level for first grade. It jumps right in. I didn't think my daughter would be able to jump in swimming--I wanted to teach my daughter about writing first and what it is, so we have started with The Writing Spot first, which is Great Source's K curriculum.

The Writing Spot is a wonderful curriculum! It introduces students to the idea of writing. Unfortunately, you really need the program guide--the teacher's guide isn't enough (and there isn't one for the Writing Spot). I will say if you can find the Program Guide, it is wonderful!! It is full of blackline masters and easy activities. For any of the Great Source Writing Curriculums, you need the program guides--unless you are more of an unschooler or you love to make your own curriculum. I need things to be much more laid out--(because I have 3 little ones). That is what I learned this year--I need a guide!

For first grade, I am going to be using both Write One and Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer. My hope is that this will balance the creative (write one) with structured writing. I have looked over Write One a lot in preparation and I do really like it.

So, if you want to use this curriculum for 1st with Write One, I would suggest that you purchase the program guide, the student book, and the buddy book (although the buddy book is more of a journal/personal dictionary, so it is optional if you buy the program guide). If you just want to use it to supplement a more formal curriculum, you can just get the student book and teacher's guide--which has lots of ideas for mini-lessons for writing.

If you want to start in K with it, you need the Program Guide, student book (the little big book), and the buddy book.

I hope this is helpful!

Julia

• Reviewed on Friday, October 28, 2005
  • Grades Used:
  • Dates used:
I like this curriculum. It requires more prep time from the parent, but we have found it to be worth it. My husband was listening to my son and I during instruction one time, and later said that he at first thought it was a little heavy duty for a 1st grader, but then he saw how great my son did with it. It was not difficult at all for him and I really see progress in his work. I love it. I first used Great Source with my high schooler and found it to be a little daunting at first....1st grade is alot better for me, and now that I've got the hang of it, we will be continuing to use it. I would call this above grade level, so if you have a bright child, this is perfect.