Stories of the Great Composers

5peaches

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 26, 2005
  • Grades Used: Elementary
  • Dates used: 9/05-present
"Short Sessions on the Lives and Music of the Great Composers with imaginary stories based on fact". This quote is taken from the cover of the book. I got this book as a last minute whim when placing my CBD order. I'm so glad I did! I'm really surprised by how much my younger kids (ages 9 & 7) are enjoying this subject. The book has 12 small units, each one covering a different composer. There is an enclosed CD that gives one selection of each composers work. Each unit has a brief introduction, a short fictional story, and an activity (word search, crossword, quiz) about the composer. I do supplement the book with stories from the library and a CD with the composers work to get a broader perspective of their body of work. We also have added our own time line to the study. However, this book is a fabulous jumping off point for music appreciation. Music has become one of our favorite subjects and I'm surprised at how much they retain. If you're looking for an easy, inexpensive way to start music appreciation with your younger school age children, I highly recommend this book.