Little Hearts for His Glory

akamomma3

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 31, 2010
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2010
I was introduced to this curricula through a blog friend who had been using it with her kids. I checked it out myself and thought we would give it a try with our daughter who is in Kindergarten. I loved that it was all laid out for me, and it came with everything mainly needed to do the work, that it is Bible based and easy to use. However, this curricula is only 90 minutes long a day. In our state you have to do 4 hours a day of home-schooling to abide by the law and be able to do it. So, since I have purchased this I also have to provide extra items, lengthen math and other subjects just to accomidate the time frame. I know not everything you do in home school has to be seatwork, however I do believe for this curricula it needs to provide some worksheets and extend in certain areas that way it will take at least 2-3 hours to get through everything. I think this may be something more towards a Church or Christian school setting of a program not really for home schoolers. I mean if you only use it as a extra to another curricula then you will be fine, and we are going to finish the year with this program however, next year we will be switching to Rod & Staff because it will allow us a better curricula and more time in depth with things!

SoaringEagle

• Reviewed on Monday, June 28, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st grade
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
We used Little Hearts for His Glory (LHFHG) for my daughter's first grade. We tried it in kindergarten but it wasn't working. I decided to wait a year and try again. I'm so glad we did.

We used the first grade materials: Our Father's World for science, Thinking Skills/Italic book B for the fine motor skills box. We also used a mix of CLE math and Singapore Primary math book 1A US edition.

I love that it's Christ-centered and the teacher guide is one of the best. Very easy to use and open & go. I like that it is scripted and helps bring everything together after reading the selected pages and/or activities in history, science, Bible, Thinking Skills, Dramatic Play, etc...

I also chose 101 Favorite Stories from the Bible by Ura Miller as our devotional Bible. I am so glad I did, I love it. Colorful pictures, Bible story and questions at the end.
The Devotions for the Children's Hour had many wonderful stories and I liked that it had a Bible passage to read from your Bible, questions, a prayer and a hymn to sing. There were some stories that I absolutely did not like and ended up either modifying or skipping altogether. I will not use this devotion with my son.

Our Father's World science is colorful and interesting. The only thing is that I didn't like using it in connection to the lesson box. The experiments are geared toward the K book and not so much with the grade 1. I think I will use the K science book instead of the first grade for my next child.

Thinking Skills workbook is fun to do and colorful. The child works on vocabulary, alphabetical order, same/different, classifying, following directions, patterns, similarities/opposites, etc.

For handwriting practice we used the Italic book B by Getty & Dubay. It was ok, I probably will chose a different program for my son.

The story time books were awesome! Those Burgess books were fun to read and my daughter found it funny to see the same characters show up in the other books in the series. I also liked the questions/activities at the end of each reading. They were excellent and would recommend them to anyone looking for great books to read.

LHFHG is a great program for first grade and the message board over on the HOD website is wonderful.

taylorfamily6

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 11, 2009
  • Grades Used: K/1st
  • Dates used: 2009
I have enjoyed helping my son with LHFHG this year. He likes it mostly and it is getting the job done. That said I do feel that I would be remiss in my review if I didn't say that I feel this is just a kindergarten program. Even with the 1st grade options I wouldn't consider it a full first grade year.
Here are the pros:
1. Short lessons that are great for a wiggly child
2. Excellent choices for the curriculum for the 3r's
3. CLP's History and Science
Here are the cons:
1. Everything has to tie in with the history on the left hand side of the guide. History, activities, science, Bible. So often you only read a small paragraph or a page of science once or maybe twice a week. You won't be getting the full CLP science using HOD's guide. Science is very weak even though they use an excellent science spine from CLP.
2. Some of the rhymes do not flow well and some are great. It is really hit and miss.
3. A lot of the activities and dramatic play are a little young and seemed to easily be dropped from the day without taking away from the program. I didn't feel they gave anything to the program. It was just twaddle.

I do like HOD and have thoroughly enjoyed my son's kindergarten year. He has a December birthday so he is a 6 yr old kindergartener. The guide says for ages 5-7. I wouldn't bank on just being in the age range for it to be a good fit for my child. I would definitely recommend using their placement chart on their site.
Since my son was doing Kindergarten and hadn't had a lot of school, it was a relatively good fit for us. A 6 or 7 year old 1st grade child that has had school would probably not fit in this program.
With him being a 6 yr old kindergartener and probably being exposed to school more than a 5 yr old kindergarten child, I found we were going faster than the guide. He easily finishes handwriting and the R&S workbook sheets in one day instead of drawing it out every other day. He is units ahead in math. The science was a big disappointment. Having done CLP's K Science, we chose CLP's 1st Science. You barely do anything with it. There is science activities but it is a stretch to say that they tie in with the paragraph or sentence in the 1st grade text.
I am writing this so that anyone looking into it for a 6 or 7 year old will not think that it will be a full 1st grade curriculum. Even when combining with a younger sibling most are given the advise to add on the right side of the next guide Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory which sets one up to be going through 2 guides at one time and having to continue this while combining all the way through the guides with their children which I do not feel is truely being able to combine your children.
I would recommend this program to a true kindergarten child who hasn't had much school or any school. I would not recommend it for a first grade child unless it is a 6 yr old that hasn't had formal school.

netpea

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 23, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2005-2008
I used this program in 2005/2006 for 1st grade for my oldest who was 5. It was perfect for him, fun yet meaty. We learned alot together. I am now using it for 1st grade in 2008/2009 for my second child who is turning 6. It is also perfect for her. Somedays she will do two days worth of work if we have time.

This is a Christ-Centered program that balances fun activities with meaningful learning activities. You can select the fine motor skills, math, and science to fit your child's level.

My 8yo enjoys doing the activities alongside his sister even though he's in third grade now. There is a definite Charlotte Mason feel to the program. The lessons are short each day, yet they cover alot. My children are either on par with or ahead of their peers in public/private schools.

My daughter begs to do this program each day, that speaks volumes in itself.