Henle Latin

yoyo

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 20, 2011
  • Grades Used: 7th grade
  • Dates used: 2006 only
I did not like it because it was very catholic like. Respect Jesus more than Mary people

0:-) Angela

• Reviewed on Monday, June 8, 2009
  • Grades Used: Henle Latin I
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
I love Henle Latin. It's very easy to use, although the book could use re-formatting. I took my copy to Kinko's to get a spiral binding on it.

Ds used Henle Latin in 7th grade. HL explains everything so clearly. Ds understood almost everything on his own just by reading the textbook, and he's not a natural with languages. There are plenty of exercises to give enough practice in order to learn the concepts thoroughly. We did a lot of the Latin-to-English translations orally so that ds wouldn't have to write so much.

Henle Latin is heavily Christian. There is some specific Catholic doctrine. I made notes by those sentences in ds' book to make sure he knew that our beliefs differed, and we'd have little discussions about them. The sentences would have been easy to skip. I could have just marked them out. There are also lots of sentences/passages about Rome/Caesar/war. HL would probably be a better choice for a boy than for a girl due to that.

New Latin curricula have come out since we used HL. I may not use HL with dd.

Abby Hines

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 28, 2005
  • Dates used: 2003
This was extremely difficult to use and follow. We much preferred the incremental approach of the Artes Latinae program.
Henle is extremely heavy in Catholic doctrine and teachings, and loaded with stuff about Caesar and war. The Artes program emphasizes classical Roman writings, providing well rounded exposure to Roman culture.