Times Tables the Fun Way

TLD

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 12, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2012
My son, age 7,in first grade, memorized ALL of the addition facts in under 45 minutes with this CD. I struggled for the entire school year.....trying to help him memorize the facts. After almost the entire school year, he had about 4 facts memorized. Ugghhhh!!!

I bought addition the fun way - read him the stories, he listened to the CD (once!) and BOOM - he knew them!!! AMAZING!!!

He actually LIKES to do the flash cards - he thinks it is so funny that he knows the answers now!!!!

My son is SO impressed - and I am too! Addition the fun way is hands down, the best homeschool investment we've made (in 13 years!)
THANK YOU ADDITION THE FUN WAY!!!

fun@home

• Reviewed on Monday, March 29, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: March 2010
I just want to post a big, positive review for this math set. My son loves the silly cartoons that make the time tables click! I do think that it is more useful to buy at least the book and the clue cards. The clue cards "jog" their memory of the facts.

Now, my son is recalling the facts, without having to be reminded. We also have the CD that tells the stories via the computer. I think this helps cement those facts even more.

After only about 2 weeks, my son has learned almost all of his facts and that's saying alot for him because he is not a child who enjoys math.
I would give this a try, if your child has trouble with multiplication. For us, it's been worth every penny!

Vila

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 8, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: Late August to present
My son took to this book very well. He loved the pictures and the stories. It was fun for him. He was able to remember all the stories and associate them to the times facts and their answers. I was elated! We flew through the times table in about a month. He knew the stories well and he could recall the times facts that go with each story. He does this without fail!

Well, we hit a brick wall yesterday. It was very unexpected. When I gave him just the times fact, for example, 6x3 (without the story) he would freeze up. He couldn't recall the answer or the story associated with the times fact.

It is so odd because he is able to handwrite the times facts with their answers if he is given the story either written or orally. Without the stories, he is lost!

The story of 6x3 is "Hunter Sees Big Foot". Where the hunter is 6 and the bow is 3. When he hears me say Hunter or Big Foot, he knows w/out fail that its 6x3=18! But when he just sees 6x3 on a blank sheet of paper or a flash card he doesn't recall the story or the answer at all. He would say to me "I have no idea." It's almost like he's never seen those numbers before. Then I try to help him picture the 6 and the 3 in the book but he can't. But as soon as I say "Big Foot", he knows immediately.

This is the only issue we are encountering. But it's a huge issue because he can't do the times table unless I'm there giving him hints from the stories.

happy.homeschool

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd - 5th
  • Dates used: 2005 - 2006
Times Tables the Fun Way & Addition Facts the Fun Way

I really wanted to like these and I got everything that was available for both (workbooks, flashcards, story books, music cd, etc). It is cute and colorful, but I was disappointed with the Times Tables set. I liked the Addition Facts a little better (although I don't know if I'm a huge believer in having to have your addition facts memorized, so we didn't use the addition set very much).

For Addition Facts the Fun Way, each number stands for something and it's always consistent in the stories. For example, 3's are always bees, the 5's always drive, the 6 is always sick, The 4's are doors, etc. And, the number answers are the same too (if the answer is 6 it's the sick 6). An example is 6 + 6 = 12. After a story there is a colorful picture and below it wraps up the story by saying, "Remember: When it's 6 + 6, the two 6's get sick eating a dozen (12) donuts." Sometimes the 12 is a dozen eggs or a dozen roses.

The Times Tables book changes in that the numbers are not as consistent as they are in the Addition stories. Once the 3's are the tales of mice, later the 3 is a bow, then it changes to a butterfly, then a flying bat. The number 7 starts out by representing a tree, then it's a fireman, later a soldier. I find this confusing because it makes me wonder how you can remember what that number stands for. If you see 4 X 8 how will you remember what the numbers are...like the 8. One time the 8 is a pig, another time it's a trampoline, or a snowman, another time it's a big foot guy. So, I don't know how you can recall 4 X 8. The story for that, by the way, is a muddy pig in the shape of an 8 next to a tub in the shape of a 4. The pig is pointing at another pig and says, "He's dirty too (32)".

Another example is 8 X 8. The 8's are snowmen who are holding sticks by a fire (the fire is in the shape of a 6 and a 4). A sign says "sticks (6) are for (4) the fire".

It's not that I hated the program, there were some cute stories. One I recall is the 4 X 4. That is a 4 by 4 truck and the driver has to be at least 16 to drive it. But, because the numbers are always changing what they picture, I think it's too hard to learn this way.

I found that Memorize in Minutes the Times Tables worked much better than Times Tables the Fun Way. In Memorize in Minutes, the numbers in the problems and in the answers always represent the same picture. There is no place to review this book here, so until there is you can read reviews for it at Amazon.