CalcuLadder Math Drills

momoflots

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 7, 2007
  • Dates used: 2000-7
These sheets are a nice convenience but not really any "special" way of learning the facts. Drill sheets can easily be found for free on the internet. They are, however, easy to use and grade and cover more than just facts (multi digit arithmetic, for example).

agreenfw

• Reviewed on Wednesday, February 14, 2007
  • Dates used: 2006-present
The math curriculum we are using does not include drill work, and so we chose CalcuLadders to add that element to our math program. We have been very happy with it so far.

I bought CalcuLadders MasterPak Vol. 1 on CD-ROM, which contains CalcuLadders 1, 2, and 3 (each of which contains 16 drills), as well as the manual, the keys, and various other forms. This is a great savings at around $25 for the CD-ROM, but you do need to have Adobe Acrobat, and be willing to print out everything you need. I also invested in an inexpensive stopwatch ($5).

My son began with CalcuLadder 1, Drill 1 back in August. He does one every school day, and when he finishes one in the allotted time with no mistakes, we move to the next one. At the moment, he is on CalcuLadder 1, Drill 14.

I did not care for Calculadder 1, Drill 1 very much. My son spent nearly three weeks on it, and never did really pass it. But this one required him to write the numbers 0-9 eight times each within two minutes. After three weeks, it still took him closer to three minutes and he was getting frustrated. We gave up and went to Drill 2, which has 30 addition problems. He beat this one in two tries. We've been progressing steadily through them ever since.

I have to say, the answer keys are wonderful. The key is a normal-sized sheet of paper, and the answers to two of the rows of problems is on each side of the key. You just put the key under each row and check the answers, turning the key as needed. Ingenious.

While he does not love doing these, he has accepted that this is a part of his schoolday, and a part that takes five minutes or less. Not only do the drills help him learn his math facts, they also show me which facts he needs to practice, which cuts down on tedious review work for him. We will continue making CalcuLadders part of our daily school routine.

Susan

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
  • Grades Used: K and 3rd
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
These are great. I copy them onto colored paper to make them look a little more pleasing to the eye. Dd does not like to do them........but she does not like math. They have helped her alot with math facts. I started ds on them after he started to do math facts. He likes them better than dd..........he likes math better and worksheets better than dd. We will continue to use them. Maybe not everyday, but as needed. I don't time dd because it stresses her out too much; however, ds loves for me to time him.

The Eads Review

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 14, 2005
  • Grades Used: all grades
  • Dates used: Sept 2005
I was excited to try out CalcuLadder because I had been hearing many homeschooling family sing it's praises. When I received the program I feared that my kids would balk at doing the same timed workbook page day after day. Was I surprised at how much they enjoyed the challenge of trying to beat their time from the day before. This program takes only 5 minutes a day to complete and has an easy self grading format that allows older children to grade their own work. This program allows the parent to see quickly and easily were the child is making continual mistakes. This easy, affordable and successful program is showing great results in our children. Buy yourself a stop watch and be prepared to see great results in your child's calculation scores.