Art Adventures at Home

amtmcm

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 4, 2008
  • Dates used: 2008
We are using Level 3 for Middle/High school. In my opinion, this is a "real" art class teaching topics like cubism, impressionist painting, architecture, graphic design, tertiary colors, shading techniques, etc.... My daughter would rather be doing crafts, but she gets plenty of that in her spare time and this curriculum is providing a well rounded art experience. It covers the topics I remember taking in my highschool art class. The book includes 3 years of once per week lessons which are well organized and easy to implement. Once you have the materials together, the objectives and instructions are clear. Overall I would recommend this curriculum as a solid course in Art for Middle/High School.

HSM2B

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 27, 2008
  • Grades Used: (Level 1 Year A)1st-2nd
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I thought the curriculum was just ok. My kids thought it was ok also. I also had a friends kids come over a few times and do art with us and they didn't really enjoy the projects as much as I thought they would. I think the projects may have been too young for them. I probable should have used level 1 year C with them. I think it is a good program, if using the right year! You do need a lot of supplies for this curriculum. I bought all of mine at the beginning of the school year and it was a lot to buy. Be aware, if you don't use some of the supplies they go bad (paints, etc.)and you have to throw them out. So I would suggest buying what you need as you go along. I also bought the Masterpak with this and didn't use it at all for Level 1 Year A. Maybe it is used in later years?

agreenfw

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 5, 2008
  • Grades Used: K and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2007
We tried to make this curriculum work for us. After a few weeks, we tossed it aside and gave up.

It was WAY too abstract for the age group (K-3). My children just couldn't grasp how a shape or a line could look happy or sad.

The final projects weren't appealing to my children. Only one or two were enjoyable to them. For the most part, they dreaded art and hated the lessons.

I had really high hopes for this curriculum, but there is no way it works for our family. Maybe a family that is more "artsy" would do well with it.

home4028

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 5, 2006
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2006
I am using Art Adventures at Home for my 5 yo ds in Kindergarten. This curriculum does a good job of studying art basics through simple projects. My ds likes to do hands on projects but is not particularly artistic and does not really enjoy projects that require a lot of creativity and inspiration. This curriculum has enabled me to teach basic art but doesn't bog us down with a lot of preparation. Most of the projects are quick and yeild decent results, even for my artistically challenged child.

The curriculum itself is designed for K - 3rd. If art is done one day per week, the book contains enough lessons for 3 years of study. The book itself is reasonably priced. At the beginning of each year study the author provides a list of supplies that will be needed for the year. I particularly appreciated this so I could shop for supplies all at once and not be left hanging when it was time to do a lesson. At the end of each lesson the author also suggests some questions for reveiw that will help your student evaluate their art.

Not every lesson in the curriculum is exciting and fun. In itself this book seems to be a complete art curriculum from an art teacher's point of view. However, being a Kindergartener, my ds enjoys making some simple crafts and fun, themed projects too. So, we do supplement this program with other projects from time to time.