Summer Bridge Activities for Young Christians

Tonya Lee

• Reviewed on Friday, August 5, 2005
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2005
I began this in May to "try" homeschooling, and it has been so successful that I will be homeschooling my three-year-old this fall. It could be used any time of the year. Each unit (15-20 days long; 50 days total in program) begins with a motivational calendar (which has worked very well) and recommended activities (fun and mostly free or inexpensive such as "make labels for household objects.") The book begins with tracing lines and shapes and moves on to letter recognition and writing. Each day has a short verse or quote, but we use a separate devotional during breakfast so I usually skip over that. There is also a bonus section that contains tear-out alphabet cards and other coloring and writing activities. Included is a recommended reading list, and I was surprised that I already had many of the books listed. Besides the daily scripture and some of the illustrations, it is not Bible-heavy so it would be fine for those who do not practice Christianity. We will be using som ething a little more Bible-based this fall, but all in all this has been a great, CHEAP (about $12) starter program. My 3-year-old has learned the alphabet and how to write the letters from doing this book.