Happy Handwriting

joyoflearning

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 12, 2011
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2011
I love this handwriting program! I don't understand why this program is not more popular. It really is "happy handwriting". We began using this program a few months ago and we are about half way through it. We do one lesson (letter) at a time. I found this program after researching several handwriting programs. Our four year old reads at a fourth grade level. I realized that in order to teach her more advanced grammar and spelling (which she wanted to learn), we would have to first work on her handwriting. Unfortunately, she hated writing and coloring. She wasn't even a huge fan of using the salt pan. I knew I needed something simple and fun that taught letters correctly without requiring too much writing. This program has worked beautifully. It is systematic and fun. The order that it introduces the letters makes so much sense. The directions are clear and each stroke is a new character. It even includes some phonics, sign language, and a memory verse for each letter. This is the first thing I have tried that has given my daughter confidence in writing and her letters are looking beautiful.

momof6

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 3, 2005
  • Grades Used: pre K- grade 2
  • Dates used: 2005
I LOVE this workbook for teaching handwriting! I used Handwriting Without Tears and Calvert for my older children, but I like Happy Handwriting even better. I am using this with my 5 yr old and plan to use it with my 4 yr old when he is ready. We do 1 lesson a day. It is very relaxed, fun and my daughter really enjoys it. I love the little bible verse on each page that has the child circle the letter being learned that day. The website for this workbook is www.masterypublications.com. They also have a cursive workbook called "Cheerful Cursive". I'm putting this review here to spread the word, because I don't hear about this curriculum much, but it is so great (and inexpensive too!). Best of all, it works! No planning or extra work for parents, and enjoyable, quick lessons for the children.