James Madison High School (now Ashworth Online)

mamadrama

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 10, 2016
  • Dates used: 2015
We enrolled our daughter in this school, because it was accredited & allowed students to work at their own pace. I even called our local state college to make sure they accepted courses from here, & they did. Before enrolling, the people selling to you on the phone make it sound like there will be actual teachers teaching the courses. BEWARE! The students will be reading out of text books, teaching themselves. There is supposedly a tutor available via phone to help them, but they are pretty much on their own. When I called to inquire why there was no teacher for our math course, & that I could have saved myself the tuition by purchasing the textbook & having my child teach herself at home, they replied that this is the way their program works. Needless to say, I am not happy with this. The only benefit is, that your child will supposedly receive an "accredited" diploma at the end, but if you're looking for actual instruction, they don't provide it. Their refund policy is such, that once you turn in more than 10% of the work (which pretty well covers the first two intro courses), you don't get much money back. BUYER BEWARE!!!

crazymomof4

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 18, 2015
  • Grades Used: 9-12th
  • Dates used: 2012-present
I would like to warn other parents who home school their kids about this institution. The computer that grades the exams has "glitches" (the exact word used by a school representative). SEVERAL times now, I have checked the results of an exam my son turned in and found the system marked a CORRECT question as INCORRECT. Once it happened to 2 questions in one exam. These circumstances were not a "judgement call".... the school tutor agreed that my son's answers were absolutely correct and gave him credit for them, explaining that "this sometimes happens. The computer is not perfect. It has glitches". So now, after each exam my son turns in, I have to take the time to check that the computer graded it correctly..... Imagine that! I PAID for the service of grading my son's exams for a fair grade and still I have to do the leg-work of making sure my son's grades are graded accurately! I am glad he is almost done this high school course!
My daughter starts home school high school this Sept. and James Madison will NOT be getting me as a return customer!!

Jamilah

• Reviewed on Monday, September 29, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I am the mother of a 16 year old son on the autism spectrum. When I called for info on the school the enrollment rep assured me that JMHS was the right choice for us. I asked numerous times in numerous ways how the program worked for special needs kids and he kept telling me it would be a good fit. I paid my $100 deposit and signed my son up for the program.

We had been homeschooling for a few years already but since my state did not require I keep a middle school portfolio, I didn't. When it came time to actually start classes I was told I needed to prove that he was promoted to the 9th grade. Since I had not kept a portfolio they told me he had to take an entrance exam at a cost of $50 per attempt. He would not be able to start classes until he passed this exam. The enrollment rep knew that I had no portfolio because I told him, and he never said anything about an exam. When I called to see what could be done I was told that he had to take the test. I tried to explain and find out if we could start classes and take the test a bit later and was told no. At this point I started to realize that there were no accommodations for special needs kids. I then asked the woman I was speaking to if the enrollment reps worked on commission and she said yes. So basically they say just about anything to get you to enroll. I was told that there would be a $275 fee to cancel my enrollment. Since they already had $100 of mine, the balance was $175. I had no intention of paying this and told them so. They said I could write a letter to a certain person if I had a dispute. I wrote the letter and didn't hear back for a while. In the meantime they called just about every day to collect. When I finally did hear back I was told they would not make me pay the balance, but I would not get my $100 back. I called the person in charge one more time but was denied.

This school is not about academics or honesty... its about making money. And they don't care who they hurt to do it. Shame

Brittany

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 14, 2005
  • Dates used: 04-05
James Madison has some really great courses available. I have been able to take college prep type classes. They are not the best at getting the papers graded however. It sometimes can take months and they have failed me on some of my exams only because I didn't show basic steps (like adding 2+3) on my exam. Overall they're a ok program as long as your patient, you'll eventually recieve your grades back.