Muzzy French

Michelle08641

• Reviewed on Monday, September 26, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd-6th
  • Dates used: 0
Not thrilled with this program for the higher elementary school age child. I guess I am looking for a little more indepth of a program and something that can be learned without a background in French being needed ( I can't fill in the gaps and I have no clue about proper pronunciation). I saw the review for The Easy French and this seems to be more of what I am looking for and it is about $40 cheaper.

wendypape

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 23, 2009
  • Grades Used: all
  • Dates used: june 2009
I purchased Muzzy on the 'free trial'. We homeschool and I thought this might be ideal. First off it is far from FREE! Wow, save your money!!!

I am in Canada and here's what it cost JUST to see if I liked it!

1. $25.00 US for shipping to me
2. 10.99 CAN from Fedex a month later (after I had returned it!) for 'brokerage fees' and GST
3. 17.89 CAN to send it back to the STates to some 'Shane Keegan' guy (this was weird considering this company was supposed to be so international!)

So for some $60ish dollars I got an opportunity to watch a very cheesy set up. The graphics are 80's at best, the content is completely in appropriate for my kids (and we aren't even Christian or anything). Gardener falls in love with the ditzy princess on roller skates and runs away with her. Yes, THAT'S what I want my children learning. Seriously????? I can't imagine how a child would learn anything APPROPRIATE like a second language from this unless you forced them to watch it! Don't waste your money- put it to better use for a REAL program like Rosetta Stone or try www.toptenreviews.com and go to the language section or just type in French or Spanish and you will find the current reviewed software. Hmmm Muzzy isn't there! I WONDER WHY!!! LOL Funny how I thought Rosetta was too expensive- well that $60 I just wasted I could have put towards it. Grrrr. Please DO your research- go to youtube.com (where I didn't) or find somewhere to watch it before you buy it. Yes, the 'curriculum in a can' package is attractive in a 'cartoon' format but don't be fooled, my kids have done the demo of Rosetta Stone and loved it and wanted more. While I can't say it will be perfect for us, it certainly can't be any worse.

Wendy in ontario Canada

gregwm

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 22, 2008
  • Grades Used: muzzy I & II
  • Dates used: 2008
excellent and effective overall design for language learning, as one should expect from the BBC, and i indeed yearn for such to be available for language learning with my young children.
however there are major role model problems, which, coming from the BBC, is a major disappointment, and i am not at all pleased to present such role models to my children.
muzzy, the revered protagonist, strikes casual backhanded blows to those who annoy him.
the 3 main confidence roles and the 2 main evil roles are all male.
female roles are accessory roles, queen is obese, princess is twirp and quickly a mother.
dark skin tones appear only for character roles of evil or insignificance.
i do like that albert models choosing to ride a bicycle, that at least is appropriate for our times.

chrissy_grn

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 5, 2006
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2004
I checked Muzzy out at the library to try out with my daughter. I'm glad I didn't buy it! I thought it was alright, but my daughter hated it. She found it very boring.