Starfall

tadams08

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 6, 2011
  • Grades Used: Prek-K
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
My son absolutely loves Starfall. He loved the the website especially, and couldn't wait to have computer free on the website on Fridays. He loves reading now and the vocabulary words have broaden how he describes things. I loved that with a membership all the lesson plans & songs we downloadable and gave access to more games and readers via the website. I did buy several of the books such as the animal kingdom collection. The recommend literature books were at my local library which was great also. I would highly recommend to anyone with 4-6 year old children.

kbabe1968

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 27, 2011
  • Grades Used: K - 1st
  • Dates used: 2005-2010
Absolutely love this program. All three of my children learned to read using Starfall. I love the free downloads for the worksheets.

My youngest (K just this year) is reading on a 2nd grade level and this is all I did with her. My older two both learned to read using this as well. ALL of my kids love reading, and I truly think that is because they enjoyed how they learned to read!!

mbennett01

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008 and 2009
We lov Starfall! I even found the books that went along with the stories on the site (found at a curriculum swap). This worked really well for my son who is a perfectionist and wanted to work out his reading "issues" on his own--he could go work on Starfall and gain confidence.

If you can find the workbooks that go with the site, I highly recommend--it's a great way to reinforce what they learn on the site.

heavenlyhoney

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 10, 2010
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2006-2010
My boys love Starfall. They begin playing around on the site around the age of 3 and suddenly they know all their letter sounds and can read little 3-letter words! It really happens without me noticing, by just spending a few minutes a day on Starfall.

I have ordered some of their materials and they are rather inexpensive but good quality. My boys love the Starfall Speedway game and really enjoy the 15 Learn to Read books. Sometimes they ask me to read them to them because they actually just like the story in each. I have also downloaded and printed things from the site like the A-B-C worksheets. My 4yo really liked colouring and drawing all over them and it was a great way to keep him occupied while I was teaching his older brothers.

Just a caution about the site, there is one section of the site that features magic, magicians and tricks; and I also noticed recently that they have added kids books about Charles Darwin and evolution to their store, so definitely preview the site for your kids if these things concern you.