Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy

becca

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I thought this book was okay, but not for us. The writing was a bit wordy and it alternated between mentioning subjects far above an elementary level (such as relativity) and being on the condescending side.

I used this with my science-loving ds but he didn't enjoy it or retain anything. Also, he didn't care for the Jr Notebook at all.

Most of the activities/experiments were very good but I think we're interested doing those more frequently.

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd, 4th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We used this science book after using the Apologia Botany textbook. I would recommend either of these books as a great introductory science curriculum for younger elementary grades.

The material is Creation-based, and there are so many wonderful facts that are brought out as to just WHY the earth and the solar system had to be made via intelligent design. This book gives many good reasons that children can use to refute the other theories.

The lessons are usually engaging for young students, and they are easy for them to comprehend. I would say that this book is a little more boring than the Botany series. I taught this book to my 2nd grader and my 4th grader at the same time, and it was very easy to do so. We also used the supplemental notebook (not the junior versions), and those were a great asset to reinforce the lessons.

Each day we would read about 2 pages of text, and then we would do something in notebook; either answer some questions, write down some facts we learned, or draw pictures. There are some creative worksheets in the notebook that add to the lessons. We also tried to do most of the experiments in the book. There are many to try, and they are all relatively easy. I would suggest getting the Lab Kit that is available through CBD or Rainbow Resource. It provides you with most of the necessary materials needed to complete the experiments.

Overall a good science book. Not quite as fun as the Botany book, but good for the younger elementary grades. They WILL come away having learned something.

kaybee

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st and 3rd grader
  • Dates used: 2012
This is SO BORING! :/ It was quite disappointing - I had heard such great things about Apologia and their texts!
First off, the textbook itself is very dry. There are bits and pieces that are kind of interesting, but overall it's just not enjoyable.
The other thing about the textbook - it goes overboard with the Christian worldview. I'm a Christian - and a pretty conservative one at that - but I don't NEED for my science text to devote a whole paragraph or two to how 'God is brighter than the sun' in the chapter on the sun. o.O I don't NEED for it to say how awesome God is multiple times in each chapter, or how 'we know those scientists are wrong because WE know (insert whatever here - Christian worldview related). I think there can be a good science text from a Christian perspective that doesn't go so overboard!!
Then, there are the 'experiments'. Some of them are laughable - more like object lessons than experiments.
The notebooking journals that go with the program? THOSE ARE AWFUL! Don't bother. It's mindless busywork. (And, of course, there is a scripture to copy every.single.week.)

The one good thing I can say about it is that while using it, I have discovered that a textbook approach to science is most definitely NOT what I want.

mommy2gr8kids03

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 30, 2012
  • Grades Used: 2nd/3rd
  • Dates used: Just finished
This has to be quite possibly the most boring astronomy text out on the market. I was excited to begin using this program, but I have had to cross out so many passages with a pen it's barely a book anymore! I realize that many hold to the opinion of a "young earth", but when you start touting it as fact; that's a problem! The author constantly tries to slip her own viewpoints and opinions in as fact. I had to keep telling my children that her "belief" has not been proven scientifically. As a Catholic, I would have to caution others to pass on this particular book. Perhaps the other are better, but I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth after this book to want to try anymore.