Wordsmith

Click for more information about Wordsmith

GA Peach

• Reviewed on Friday, October 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: Apprentice
  • Dates used: 2012
I hope that this brief review will be helpful to others.

This program showed great promise and we really wanted to like it.

However...while the exercises are "fun", they seemed to lose their appeal as we worked through the book.

Maybe if we understood what this program was, it may have lasted all year. Instead, I was looking for a program that would teach paragraph writing...essay writing, etc.

This was a gently introduction to writing...not meant for my middle school students. :)

The assignments seemed to be a bit "meaningless". I'm positive my children didn't retain anything from this program. :(

Discotrish

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 11, 2012
  • Grades Used: 4th and 6th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Generally the kids liked Wordsmith and didn't object to doing it. My 4th grader did Apprentice and my 6th grader did regular Wordsmith. The exercises are brief, varied, not too challenging. It gives you a lot of leeway as to how to complete the assignment. I wouldn't say it's strong on "how to" write if you don't already have some idea, but it does give quite a few creative assignments for practicing a variety of things. We kind of burned out on it toward the end of the school year. Not exactly what you want if you need to learn how to write an essay, but if you'd like to keep your young writer busy and engaged, this would fill the bill. This year my 5th grader is doing Jump In and my 7th grader is doing Writeshop. I feel those both provide more directed instruction with specifics. Wordsmith was good for what it was, they didn't complain, but I'm not sure how much they progressed, either. I guess I'd give it a qualified thumbs up, depending on what your child needs.

Joyful Learning

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
We began homeschooling mid-8th grade. Our son had very little interest in writing and little experience in public school. His fears required we take the curriculum slowly in the beginning and build up his confidence. The lesson plans are written in plain English and fit our need to self-pace. He amazed himself with his new-found ability to be expressive and original. Writing still isn't his favorite thing to do but he has confidence that he can communicate effectively through writing, which was the goal.

hsmomof5

• Reviewed on Monday, December 10, 2007
  • Grades Used: 10th-
  • Dates used: 2007-
I started hsing my oldest officially in 9th grade. He was coming home from private school but believe it or not, he had no formal writing instruction! I started with Wordsmith this year and we will use Wordsmith Craftsman next year. He loves it. The assignments are short and simple. The writer writes in a conversational tones which he can understand clearly. The Wordsmith gets them to write better sentences utilizing what he has learned in grammar and pull the creative juices together by learning to write with more detail while the Craftsman gets into more detailed essays and research papers. (I'll review the Craftsman better after we get to it.) I purchased this after reading that it was one of Cathy Duffy's top pics and after reading reviews here along with researching the commensense press site and so far it's a great find.