Alpha Omega Science

AK_Mom4

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 10, 2009
  • Dates used: 2008
We used Lifepac Science 6 after we pulled DS out mid-year to homeschool. I needed something that would be interesting for him as he was quite anti-school by the time we pulled him out, but still easy for me.

Lifepac Science 6 is a set of 10 black-and-white workbooks with a TM. We are a workbook/textbook family, so these were just right.

Pros: The material was interesting for DS and a little challenging in some areas. The hands-on experiments were his favorite part! He did very well reading the material independently and answering the questions. The content was very good and comparable to what DS had been covering in public school.

Cons: DS finished the whole 10 book set in under 5 months. For a student who really "gets it" and is working independently, you might need to slow the pace down to stretch the material for a full year.

catmomo8

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 29, 2008
  • Grades Used: 6th grade
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
I do not like this curriculum. I've struggled trying to find a good science program for both of my HS children, and hadn't had any luck. They'd been using Science in GOd's World and it was just so dry. I switched to the LifePac series. I was disapointed because I didn't think that the topics that were covered were in enough detail. I ended up having to supplement alot to explain some of the details the series used. The LifePac series isn't so clear, for example, like telling you what to expect from an experiment. I will be using Apologia the next school year and I am very satisfied with it so far.

Homeschooley

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 17, 2008
  • Grades Used: 5th - highschool
  • Dates used: ???
This is hands on science! My kids LOVE using the microscope! it has helped my children to grasp the science concept! I did find it somewhat weird in how it is set up and just sorta weird! It is a good thing but I have found other curriculums ( rod and staff) to work also. We used it this year but will be going back to Alpha Omega this year!

Sheila E.

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
  • Grades Used: 6th - 7th
  • Dates used: 2004 -
My son really enjoys the Lifepac Science curriculum and like using it as well. My son finds the information interesting for the most part and I find it easy to use.

The thing I really love about the Science curriculum is that the questions are asked in such a way that many times they can't be answered by repeating information verbatim. The questions make my son think, which I think is vital to understanding any subject. If he has to work out an answer in his head and not simply go back to the book and copy the answer, the knowledge is his forever.

There are a lot of experiments in this curriculum, but the teacher's book clearly states which ones are essential and which ones can be done if time allows. I love this flexibility. We can skip some experiments completely (after all, how many times can you stick celery in food coloring???) and we can do the important ones. If the experiment is a long one, we can jump out of the book for a couple of days and do it. I've also found the Science Experiment DVDs to be invaluable, since some of the experiments can get the point across just by watching. This has saved us a lot of time and effort.

Inside the Lifepac box is a order form which includes all the materials you might need for any given year. The prices are relatively inexpensive, although many of them can be purchased cheaper with a little shopping time. I love the convenience of being able to order the materials, most of which can be used over and over.

Just like any curriculum, Lifepac Science isn't perfect, but for our family, it's pretty close.