Veritas Press Bible

asheepnomore

• Reviewed on Monday, February 4, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: Jan 2008-present
After lots of researching I have finally ended up going with Veritas Press Genesis Through Joshua. I have used Alpha Omega LifePacs and Bible Study Guides for All Ages and did not find a good fit. I love all the different learning elements incorporated into the program, I definitely think that it helps the message sink in and stick with the student. It has a cd that puts Biblical events in chronological order, which is something that I even benefit from. It has cards that review and summarize the chapter or chapters that are beings discussed. You read the chapter or chapters in the Bible or Bible story book, do a worksheet and then there is a test at the end of the week. It encourages review of previously learned events and it also has fun project suggestions that help reinforce learning. Last week we were talking about creation and one of the suggested projects was to make a mural of the days of creation. It was a very effective tool and help my son and myself remember the order everything was created. I would recommend this program to anyone. It is complete, flexible to your child's style of learning, it easy to use with a wide range of ages and is not very expensive. I ordered the set from Rainbow Resource.

ace_18

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 27, 2007
  • Grades Used: 2nd-5th
  • Dates used: 2003-2007
I am a big fan of Veritas Bible...and so are my d's. I felt the workbook, cards and memory song came together nicely to make Bible interesting to learn. I see my d's growing in their faith and knowledge of God and who He is! This curriculum is very meaty. As you read and discuss God's Word your student IS able to apply what they learn to everyday life. The curriculum is very user friendly. The workbook is broken down into a Monday - Friday approach. Every Monday a card is introduced along with it's information and scripture reference. Tuesday through Thursday is covered by either puzzles, bible reading, hands-on projects or writing assignments (I usually choose or let my d's choose the hands-on projects). Friday is test day on what they have learned through the week...with a portion of the test reviewing past cards. I have seen my d's grow so much in their knowlege of the Lord and in their faith. I love that they continue to be amazed by His Word. DO NOT rely on this curriculum to give your child a "warm fuzzy" for the day. It is designed to teach about God...who He is...what He has done...what He is doing...and what He expects from His people. It is an excellent way to start the morning!

Blessedmom4

• Reviewed on Friday, January 13, 2006
  • Dates used: 2002-2006
I have used Veritas Bible curriculum for several years now. I love this curriculum. I will first tell you what this program is not...it is not a devotional, nor is it a self directed program that your child can do on his own, it is teacher driven, but since I am the teacher, I get the benefit of having this wonderful time in the morning with all my kids in God's word. This curriculum covers Genesis through Revelation. One card a week, one topic a week, with lots of review of the previous cards. My kids and I are learning the scriptures and learning God's word using God's word...and that's the best part. It's not some watered down devotional that tells them God loves them and salvation explained 100 times, they will get that but also learn and read about God's faithfullness in the lives of Ruth, Gideon, David, Joseph, the will learn details of the bible like dates and understand the timeline. They will understand the cycle of the Judges of how sin continued to seperate the people from God and how God in his mercy after they repented God would send a Judge to set them free. This is rich stuff and yet easy enough for 2nd graders to begin. I love it for what I get out of it, I especially love for what my kids are getting. Now, rarely is a bible story taught at childrens church where they did not already know from learning at home with Vertas Bible curriculum. I will always use this and highly recommend it to anyone wanting a super easy yet super RICH curriculum.

susan

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 10, 2004
  • Dates used: 2002-2004
Since I am a Christian living in Utah, I felt that it was very important for my son to really KNOW his bible and Veritas accomplishes that very well. This curriculum is quite scholastic in its approach so I wouldn't recommend it for self directed learning or replace devotionals with it. But when used as a teacher driven program, it's enjoyable to let those spiritual lessons unfold during discussion time. The teacher's guide is necessary because it includes all worksheets, tests, and activities. There are also beautifully illustrated cards and an audiocassette to help your child memorize the important events and scripture references. Some of the activities are cross-curricular and include art appreciation, art history, and world history. They don't assign memory verses so we had to come up with those on our own. I wouldn't recommend this for a first time homeschooler because the lessons aren't scripted. The teacher must take this tool and decide how to make it work for her. For someone who has found there teaching style and is comfortable with presenting their own lessons it can a wonderful program. Veritas is considered to be a Protestant curriculum, but I find it to be non-denominational.