Understanding Writing

Calming Tea

• Reviewed on Friday, January 21, 2011
  • Dates used: 2009-10
This is so well laid out and well written. It's comprehensive and weaves in grammar. Therefore, it covers all writing and grammar for 12 grades. Amazing.

But I am a natural writer and so are my children. I found this program so controlling and stifling. She doesn't believe in teaching fictional writing or poetry until all the rest is mastered. That's a shame because children enjoy fiction.

(The lessons are short and your child would have free time to pursue his own fiction writing in his free time though.)

If you want something step by step and very much to the point and specific, then this really is economical and well done.

If you are a confident writer and wish to explore creativity and several genres of writing, this is not for you.

Homeschool Mom to 4

• Reviewed on Saturday, October 1, 2005
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
This is one fabulous resource!

The daily lessons are scripted for the teacher making it very easy to sit down and teach the lesson.

The writing lessons cover everything necessary for 1-12 grade making this very economical. The way the lessons are presented make it easy for the teacher to teach and the child to learn. My kids have grown in their writing ability by leaps and bounds!

I highly recommend this resource! It's the best money I've spent on writing and language curriculum.

Kuddos Mrs. Bradrick

Denise Clark

• Reviewed on Monday, November 17, 2003
  • Dates used: 1995-present
I am sold on Understandning Writing. It is a complete program cover level 1-12. Along with a couple of reference books, and a grammar program for grades 7&8 its all you need for 12 grades. It teaches simply how to write sentences and progresses from there to more complex types of writing. It teaches enough grammar to get them by until their brains are capable of understanding abstract grammar concepts which is introduced and focused on in the 7th and 8th grades. My oldest is a junior now and can write very well. It may seem slow when you start but hang in there - the end results are great.

Amy

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 17, 2002
  • Grades Used: k-12
  • Dates used: 1996-98
Understanding Writing gives you a very detailed curriculum. My main problem with the curriculum is me. I don't do well with structured curriculum where you have to sit down with each child and do that days work with them. Since we have 6 children, and 5 are school age, I couldn't figure out how to use the curriculum easily with all the age groups. I have used bits and pieces of UW but mostly have moved on to other writing projects and idea books. My style is more like Cindy Rushton where we copy parts of great literature into copybooks. It seems like UW would work best if you just had one or two children to work with and spaced farther apart then my every two years.