ACE (School of Tomorrow)

blessedlife3

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 28, 2017
  • Dates used: 2015-2017
After reading through reviews here I decided to leave my own.

We are in our 8th year of homeschooling. We have tried SO many different curriculum.
MFW
HOD
Beautiful Feet (we still use their book recommendations)
Truthquest History(we still use their book recommendations)
Rod and Staff
CLE
Horizons
There are others I am forgetting

Anyway, we have used MANY different programs! A couple years ago a good friend asked if we had tried Ace. That was one we had not used because I listened to all of the negative reviews. I did Nothing but hurt my oldest son's progress by switching curriculum so often. What I love about Ace is that it is a solid program. We have the freedom to add in extra books, etc when we need to or feel like it. Some of the other programs we used took ALL day to complete and left no time for anything else. This is not the case with Ace. It takes my 7th grader three hours at the most and he is my pokey child.

I just want to add that before you believe all of the bad reviews, take a look at Ace yourself. If I had done that from the beginning we would be in a much easier position where placement is concerned.

Also, I recently spoke with a retired pastor from our old church who had run Ace schools in the past. He saw what curriculum we were using and reaffirmed the fact that it is a very good, solid curriculum. I trust his opinion.

mom72016

• Reviewed on Monday, January 16, 2017
  • Grades Used: 1st-12th
  • Dates used: 2001- Current
We've homeschooled for 17 years. During the first few years of our homeschooling journey we used a myriad of curricula, but it wasn't until we found ACE that we knew we had landed on something solid that worked for our family, and we have never looked back. Is ACE a perfect curriculum? No, it is not, but we all know that the perfect one does not exist. As a wise mentor once told me, "The curriculum that works is the one that gets done."

Homeschooling is so much more than academics. It's creating a love of learning, it's character building, relationship building, and instilling a strong work ethic in your children. The curriculum is only one tool in the toolbox of homeschooling. I've now graduated two of our children using the ACE curriculum and they have gone to college, and are successful adults. This, I know, had little to do with the brand of curriculum, and everything to do with teaching my kids HOW to learn and to LOVE learning.

What I love about ACE is that it set me FREE. I stopped wondering if I was teaching my kids enough. I stopped comparing what I was doing with other homeschooling families. I stopped looking at every magazine or website and every new curriculum thinking I was missing out on something great. Settling in on ACE brought incredible peace. It's affordable, requires little prep, is biblically centered, and academically solid. It's "open and go" and easy to transport. We are a very busy and active family so ACE allows us so much flexibility. When I have time, I can supplement other materials (usually media, or art/science projects) and books to expound on what they are learning. On the days I don't have time to do that, it's perfectly fine because I know that ACE by itself is enough. I also love that my children have learned to be independent and take responsibility for their learning.

What my kids love about ACE is, well, pretty much everything. I've asked a couple times if they'd like to try something new and I get a resounding, "No! We love ACE!" They have learned to set their own goals, read explanations of new concepts and try to figure it out on their own before they ask me for help, and feel a sense of accomplishment after finishing each individual pace. They love telling me, "I don't need your help, mom. I've got this. My pace explained it to me." They also adore the characters and how they get to "grow up" with them.

I do "score" my children's work and I do not allow them to do it (which is what is done in an ACE school). This is one thing I do not agree with regarding the suggested way to implement ACE. And the cartoons, sure, they are outdated, and at times legalistic or silly, but my kids still love them and know what we agree with and what we don't. It's a non-issue, and as mentioned already, they adore the characters.

ACE is not for everyone, but that doesn't make it an inferior curriculum. Most people who have this view have either had a bad experience at an ACE school, or they did not use the curriculum correctly or see it all the way through. Because ACE uses a mastery approach, it's slower in the younger grades and picks up around 4th-5th grade. High school is quite intense, as would be expected. Still though, my children were not bogged down with hours upon hours of work. They still had the freedom to work, and be involved in activities and ministry, which was, and is, extremely important to our family.

In conclusion, ACE, while not perfect, is an excellent curriculum that I am thankful we found so many years ago. I would recommend it to anyone.

Mary Jane

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
  • Grades Used: Several Grade Levels
  • Dates used: 2004-2014
Hello! I thought I'd share an article from Pace Success, called "Reasons Students Like ACE". The focus is mostly on teens (teens give their input here) but we also hear from the parents. I thought it was a good article that others here might like to read. Here's the link:

Here's the homepage to this site:

I used ACE for 10 years of our homeschooling- not for all subjects- we used Bible, English, History, Science, Literature and Creative Writing, and Animal Science. Also used ACE Spanish. We really enjoyed ACE when we used it.

Irish mom

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
I have just begun home education using the ACE curriculum this Summer and so far so good. I am using ACE kindergarten, ABCs with ACE and Christi and 2nd grade PACEs. I have found the PACES excellent for my two older kids.... They like the layout, the tests and stars on their progress charts. Learning the Bible verses is excellent too. I would be of the opinion that ACE is ahead of the public school actually. What I would say is that I too got the Kindergarten binders but cannot keep up the daily lessons and help the other two children. So I use the Kindergarten PACES and tailor it to my son. I do Maths every day with my second grader and than one of the other subjects IE English, Science etc. I also supplement some phonics and reading books myself so it's not ALL PACES. To me ACE is a curriculum tool I can use, not a tool to rule my day....I would recommend ACE....but use it to your needs and supplement where you feel to. ACE is wonderful to see the kids progress. I supervise and correct all their work, I give them reward stickers and they are not allowed to look at any material during a test. That way I know and they know if they are learning.....
12345678910...