Alpha Omega LIFEPAC Language Arts

Alyeska

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 17, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
My son has been using the 4th grade LA this year. I've been very pleased with the topics covered, dictionary and thesaurus usage, and the variety of activities.

He has made significant strides in LA this year and is nearly back up to grade level, thanks to the AO Lifepacs and a lot of hard work on his part.

As to the price, I don't have a problem paying for what we received. For a full subject, the price is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The TM is well organized and is of good quality. The booklets are of decent quality also, although not as high as the TM. However, this does not bother me. The booklets get used for 3 or 4 weeks and are then thrown in the trash anyway. We have not had a booklet fall apart before we finished it. The pages are able to withstand incorrect answers being erased by a vigorous boy. : ) The paper has never torn or seemed flimsy at all. Another plus to AO Lifepacs is that the materials aren't changed every year or two. SO many other homeschool publishers come out with 3rd, 4th, 5th editions. Are there THAT many changes to be made?

I fully plan on continuing this language arts with him in future years. We may even try some other subjects because the LA has worked so well for him.

Mrs M

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 12, 2015
  • Grades Used: 1st-4th
  • Dates used: 2014
There are so many things I don't particularly like about AOP - however, take this review with a grain of salt because I'm a new homeschooler and just started this past September. What I did know in September when looking for core curriculum is that Alpha Omega is probably the best known curricula. So there's a trust issue there - I just trusted this company to provide quality. When we received the Language Arts lifepacs (1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th grades) I was astonished at the quality. The 1st grade LA was roughly $125 and for that price we got flimsy workbooks and equally low quality Teacher Guides. I was very disappointed, however I still wanted to try. Buying this curriculum set us back a very long ways timewise and financially - and two out of our 3 homeschooled children HATED it. Our first grader didn't mind her lessons and readers however the readers included the the 1st grade will not last and are made of the same quality as the workbooks. I hate this curriculum more than I can express and I having to find something else and being behind because of it.

Hailey Ann

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 11, 2013
  • Grades Used: first grade
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I was not very excited when I started using Lifepacs this year. They start off really slow. I was not too sure if the content was enough for my child. After teaching first grade and understanding the standards that are expected at a public school level I soon realized Lifepacs completely meet these requirements and beyond. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is order the spelling vocabulary unit through Horizons. The spelling lists Lifepac offers is not combined within the curriculum. I am most likley going with Lifepacs again this year after assessing my first grade son's reading at above a second grade level. I used a San Diego Quick Assessment and Fry's Instant Sight Words lists to determine his level. I may even move up to Horizons since they are a little more advanced. Just make sure you order the spelling/vocab. through Horizons with this program. I was told it was included in the program. Yes, spelling is included but not taught. Anyone can come up with a list of a few words to practice.

bookgirl5

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 27, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010

I started using LIFEPAC in 2010 and and the end of the school year I was looking for a different curriculum.Pros: LIFEPAC is a great price and you can purchase the entire subject example: math or the individual books up to 10.

Cons: LIFEPAC uses the spiral method, therefore, if you need reenforcement it is NOT something you will want to use.

I switched to BJU Press for 2010-2011 school year and it uses a Master Method with lots of reenforcement and review. It is an excellent curriculum and even my child enjoys the books. BJU is very costly, but worth it. Just get the student text and the teacher answer key that's it.
bookgirl