Alpha Omega Switched on Schoolhouse

stephexx

• Reviewed on Monday, August 11, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4th to 10th
  • Dates used: 2013/14
Portions of this product are very well made - let the buyer beware - if you buy this you are on your own - support is a joke - you wait wait wait - they hang up on you - etc - never once have had a question answered - too bad - when it works, its a good product - manuals/online 'help'/phone support ---- useless ---- luckily I've been in the IT field for quite a while, so can figure my way through - otherwise - no way

mwalkernbca

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 9, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd-10th
  • Dates used: 2002+
Rest assured. Switched On Schoolhouse is a very thorough curriculum and will prepare your student adequately to meet national standards. We've used it off and on as both homeschooling parents and as professional educators and can vouch for 10+ years experience. As a former high school teacher and curriculum publisher for 20 years, and my wife, a Christian school educator for 13 years, we've used SOS for some elementary subjects with our kids as early as 2002 and have relied on SOS for both middle school and high school courses/subjects when they switched from public school back to our private ACSI accredited high school (one switching back to homeschooling as a high schooler for a semester). SOS is the link that not only we have relied on, our high school uses it for students when they can't schedule a course for a student or for summer school/credit recovery. The curriculum is challenging and thorough. I know that as a publisher and AP trained teacher. I'm also a certified tutor with our local state university and have seen curriculum across the board from K-College. Excellent scope & sequence. Challenging assessments. In many ways, the curriculum is more challenging than the curriculum published by the "Big 3" secular textbook publishers.

Regarding the CBT experience, SOS is not "amazing", but cuts the workload for a teacher/home educator tremendously. It is repetitive in format. If your student's learning style is inclined towards computer-based instruction and doesn't mind the same format (lessons, quizzes, tests, projects), unit after unit, SOS is one of the best, most time-tested CBT Christian based curriculums you will find on the market. I've adapted national curriculum for a Pre-AP level high school course I taught online for our high school a couple of years ago. It was experimental and I adapted three curriculum packages used to prep the students (juniors & seniors) for a CLEP exam. I spent many hours creating video instruction, adapting assessments, using modules for branching and alternative instruction. No doubt, my course was far more interactive and tailored to meet the demands of a College Board exam than a pre-packaged SOS course. Nonetheless, there's great value in the SOS content (for the price). Unless a homeschool educator is prepared to pay for an online education at a private accredited school, you won't go wrong with SOS content. I say this with enough professional "content" and "tech" experience, and as a homeschool parent with teenagers, one a recent graduate. Don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers. I've had to deal with them for two decades as both teacher and publisher (students, parents, teachers, etc). Align with national content standards and your student will be fine. SOS is a great solution for the dollar.

coxfamsc

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 12, 2013
  • Grades Used: 7th, 11th and 12th
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
As we wrap up our 9th year of homeschooling, we've had the opportunity to experience a lot of different curriculums. Like other people have mentioned, all students learn differently and have various styles of learning. Our challenge as parents is to learn our child's learning style and cater to it. Having said that, we've used a total of 5 different subjects with SOS:

1st - 7th grade General Science (terrible curriculum, had to switch my son after about 2 weeks back to BJU, very weak in subject material, and boring to read).

2nd - 7th grade US History (again, terrible curriculum, same reasons)

3rd - 12th grade Government/Economics (my daughter did excellent in this course and enjoyed it, very well done and put together, would use this one again)

4th - 11th grade Computer Information Systems (again, my daughter did excellent in this course, lots of projects for them to do on the computer and she enjoyed it, would use this one again)

5th - 12th grade Trigonometry (WOULD NOT recommend this course, very little instruction, had to get a tutor for her to complete it)

To sum it up, SOS is not bad for "elective" type courses, such as noted above, but if you want your child to really learn Science, History and Math, I would use another curriculum. The old adage, you get what you pay for really applies here. $75 will get you a SOS single course, as opposed to $400 for a single course through A Beka or BJU or Liberty via DVD.

Lastly, I didn't like how much computer interaction that is involved in setting up the course and logging in to check work etc. But everybody is different. Enjoy, and Blessings to you all.
CC in Sunny SC

babiroo

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 3, 2012
  • Grades Used: Bible grade 8
  • Dates used: 2012
Last year my son used R&S bible which is really intense but did well. This year we switched to SOS bible for a change and it was a mistake. He isn't doing well on the MULTITUDE of tests and I think it's because it's all about tests. I wish I hadn't forked over the $100 for this. Live and learn.
12345678910...