Sonlight Science

frankiec

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 6th (science F, 5 day)
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
My son is very gifted in science so I have trouble finding programs that are at his level scientifically without overwhelming in assignments. This year was great! I used Science F: Health, Anatomy, and Medicine. Some things he already knew and was able to review while much was new. The books were interesting and at his reading level yet not dumbed down conceptually.

The only reason I have not used Sonlight science in the past is that looking at my friend's Cores (what Sonlight calls their full year curriculum), the science seemed rather disjointed, jumping from topic to topic in little bits rather than going into detail like he wants. Science F is more cohesive and I'm glad we decided to get it.

The schedule was easy for him to follow himself with each assignment and reading laid out for the day in the teacher guide. I started off copying the student worksheets for him each day, but later he decided it would be easier to get a notebook and write the answers in it.

andray68

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 16, 2010
  • Grades Used: Core K and Core 1
  • Dates used: 2007 and 2010
When I first used the Core K science with my son I wasn't all that thrilled. I didn't like how the topics were barely touched upon and how the worksheets were laid out. I used it again with my dd this year without the worksheets and we enjoyed it very much! Last year Sonlight re-vamped their science and I have to say they did an awesome job! My son loved the Core 1 science this year and I'm looking forward to using it again with my daughter. The Usborne books they chose are fantastic and most of them are internet linked. My son often read ahead of me in the books.He especially loved the animals and space portions this year. The experiments are super easy and if you're not into that kind of thing they provide the dvd which my kids can't get enough of! You won't regret buying this science. I can't wait to start Core 2 in August!

jet

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
  • Grades Used: 5th and 7th
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
My 5th grader absolutely loved the science program. The child is considering a career as a vet or something else in medicine. I like the variety of books that they use. The History of Medicine was a favorite of my 5th and 7th grader. I read this out loud and we enjoyed hearing about these pioneers in medicine.

The 7th grade program is Apologia. I realize that you don't need to get this from Sonlight, but the schedule from Sonlight is helpful. I use the schedule to keep us on track to complete the book by the end of 36 weeks. The only draw back to Apologia was the sections on geology. It was well written and interesting. My 7th grader just hated the subject and learning about rocks and the layers of the earth. Next years material won't cover this so the child should be happier.

I am planning to use Sonlight for 6th and 8th grades next year.

jet

aubin

• Reviewed on Friday, August 15, 2008
  • Grades Used: K, 1, 5
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
At first I really liked the SL science. You have different books to read to the children, then they have to answer questions on the activity worksheets. The majority of books in the younger grades is Usborne. They usually have only 1-3 questions to answer on the worksheets.

Towards the end of the year I realized my kids were not retaining any of the things they were learning. There is no reveiw, no going over new words or concepts, things are presented in a very superficial manner. In K (core C) they use Finding Out About Everyday Things. This tells a Kindergarten age child how planes fly and the different parts of a plane. The concepts and terms, like airstream and manifold, are IMO beyond what a K student could comprehend. We did enjoy the first book of nature, but once again I had to build in review myself to aid in retention.

The subjects do skip around a lot. Core 5 is anatomy and physiology, so it doesn't skip from one subject to another as much, but once again, I found that the retention was very little for my kids. Me reading to them a chapter on the endocrine system, then them answering 2 questions, then moving onto something completely different the next day, simply did not work.