Simply Grammar

Lady Vol Fan

• Reviewed on Friday, May 12, 2006
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
We've used A Beka's grammar and I was not happy with its grueling approach. Most recently, we had been using Easy Grammar for 2 years. It wasn't that I was unhappy with Easy Grammar. I actually love it. I just heard so much about this particular book that I had to check it out.
What I liked about this:
The exercises that call for your child to put into practice the rules you just reviewed by creating their own sentences. This helped me identify what concepts still needed to be reviewed by my son.
The time spent sitting together. I loved the illustrations. My son has no shortage of workbook exercises. This method was a breath of fresh air.

What I didn't like about this:
If you don't have a strong grammar background, then you won't be able to help your child identify what he is getting wrong when he creates his own sentences. There isn't enough teacher help to assist your teaching of the material.

The lack of depth to the material. I did not feel it was adequate to handle our grammar learning. In fact, we finished it in about 4 months by doing it twice a week at 15 min a session, eek!

My recommendation would be that this is ideal for a summer review with your child if you have a strong grammar background.

pasomers

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 23, 2006
  • Dates used: 2004
I bought this grammar book on the recommendation of a friend. My son learned grammar through the public school system (5th grade) and really struggled with it. We tried A Beka's Language C, which proved to be too difficult for him. He had excellent reading skills but just didn't understand grammar at all. I thought that Karen Andreola's book might just be the perfect fit for us - thorough yet gentle in it's approach to teaching grammar to 4-8th graders.

Simply Grammar is a lovely book and I read it cover to cover twice just to get a feel for how the material was presented. I found the book "quaint" and the wood-cut illustrations were wonderful. However, the book is written in 19th-century english and describes the parts of speech in a very "unusual" way. I found this method of instruction to be confusing for me, someone who learned traditional definitions such as a "noun is a person, place or thing." I decided that this book would only end up confusing my son all the more. I decided that for us, we needed a completely different approach to grammar. We chose Wanda Phillips "Easy Grammar" instead and really hit on a great product. My son has learned more grammar using this program than any other we have tried since we started homeschooling.

I think Simply Grammar is a lovely book and approaches the subject in a unique and old-fashioned way. In my opinion, it is best suited to beginning students (4th grade) who have had little or no prior instruction in grammar.

Cassandra Hale

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 25, 2004
  • Grades Used: 4-8 and review
  • Dates used:
There are so many negative reviews of this book. I'm shocked! This book is complete and thorough. It individually covers each grammar rule and puts into practice. If one doesn't like all the oral work, have the child write it down, along with the grammar rule, into a grammar notebook. I even enjoy using it as a brush up for myself! I was an English major and used intensive grammar programs all throughout my school years. I remembered NOTHING when I got to college. I had to re-learn everything. I am now a bonafide grammar junkie! This is a great book to either use alone or to supplement another more traditional (if that is your preference) grammar curriculum. I LOVE this product!

Mom of 4

• Reviewed on Friday, April 30, 2004
  • Grades Used: 4+
  • Dates used: 2003
Having enjoyed and used much of what was suggested in A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola, I decided to purchase Simply Grammar. Of all the curriculum I've purchased for our home school, this is one of the BIG disappointments. It's boring and some of the phrasing is archaic.

I paid $25 for this book and can't even sell it used to anyone. Perhaps I'm not the only one who was disappointed. [One sentence removed.]