Shiller Math

MomTeaches

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 10, 2012
  • Grades Used: K thru 5th
  • Dates used: 2010 - 2012
Both my children have dyslexia and the Shiller math with manipulatives and songs give them them the multi-sensory help they need. After using Shiller Math, both are advanced in math.

Shiller Math is easy to understand for the teacher and the student. I find the instructions easy to follow. The kids think it is fun and look forward to math time. Because my older son attended school in 3rd and 4th grade, I like the tests that show if there are any holes in past instruction. I am glad my children are able to learn math in a way that is very fast and makes sense. There is math I learned while teaching that is so much easier than the way I was taught and develops understanding of how numbers work.

The materials and customer support are helpful and thorough. Math-u-see is also good for dyslexic children. I think Shiller Math is more comprehensive and has more grade levels.

hometeachcolo

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 19, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-10
I was disappointed with this program. The manipulatives looked interesting, but the texts were not our style. There was no workbook for the student, either.

We never used the books, as they were below level and/or too simplified, and it would require I make tons of worksheets on my own to practice the math concepts. We looked at the 3-D shapes and the fraction circle manipulatives, but my son felt they were a waste of time as he already knew all the shapes and the fractions.

To make bad matters worse, we were promised Shiller would buy back the materials at a reduced price for resale as reconditioned merchandise, but they refused when I contacted them. So don't get tricked into trying because they will buy back!

We found Horizons exactly the fit for us. Shiller might work for some, but for us, it was an expensive mistake.

katpat23

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 12, 2009
  • Grades Used: K-4th
  • Dates used: just starting
Unlike the previous reviewer, I am delighted with the materials I have received, the quality of the workbooks, and the customer service.

I have not begun the work yet, but when my husband and I were reviewing the extensive sample downloads before purchasing, he was very impressed with the material that was being taught, the way it was taught, and the level of understanding it provided.

And this from a math professor at Oxford University in England!

A quick look at the review tests, which I will need to help place my four children in their correct levels, has revealed very easily to me where my 9-year-old should begin.

I have seen lots of Montessori math albums and dabbled in teaching math with those hands-on manipulatives, but without the extensive training a Montessori teacher receives, I really could not begin to teach my children in this hands-on way with any success (I know -- I tried it for a term last year). Then along comes ShillerMath with all the preparation and thinking done for me, and I'm really hopeful of our success in the years to come.

Finally, a word about this versus Singapore math, which I've used for 5 years. We did well with Singapore, but I found the children and I muddled through the practical issues of learning new material without really understanding the "why" behind it. Take a look at the ShillerMath sample lessons, and you'll see the theory and the vocabulary all explained for you. It seems to me if you can afford, you should get it.

By the way, when thinking about affordability -- work out how much you'd pay in workbooks for your children from age 4 to 12, and you'll probably discover the ShillerMath programme is either not too much more or even cheaper.

Lolosoli

• Reviewed on Friday, September 5, 2008
  • Grades Used: Shiller Math 1
  • Dates used: 2008
I just received my Shiller Math box and I was not impressed with the quality of the products.

This program is a manipulative based program, therefore I expect the materials to be good quality...especially for the price of the curriculum.

I did not pay $329.oo+ to receive less than a handful of plastic coins in a sandwich bag. In comparison, a brand new 140 pcs. coin set sells for $10.95! Why this company wouldn't include such a set I have no idea.

I also didn't like that the answers were given in the workbook.

It is still a great program, however, far to expensive.

I am returning the Shiller Math and purchasing Math-U-See.