Seton Home Study

FarmMom

• Reviewed on Monday, March 2, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
While this curriculum seems wonderful, it is very involved. A child would have to sit in the house for 10 hours a day to actually complete the daily lessons. It's very very DRY. We spent many days of crying in which I finally had to throw in the towel. I have come to the conclusion that my child needs a bit more exciting material and interactive. Not book after book. Even the reading books were so difficult to get through.

As for their service, they are horrible. It takes weeks to get any response on email. Weeks to get any papers graded. Once you buy the product they are done with you. Once we decided to unenroll (don't enroll! Not worth the money) and tried to see if we could recoup any of the $700 back. They I formed me to send back the books... Yet you still owe the whole tuition (we did the payment plan). Why on earth would I send back the books then??? So beware!!! You will not get your money back.

The other thing about this curriculum is it's VERY catholic. Every single aspect. Even to the spelling. I'm sorry but more then half the words and sentences didn't make sense because it was so religious. I think of myself as a catholic... But this goes beyond! I think people are afraid to give bad reviews on this curriculum if they had a bad experience with it. I sure wish I had read some of those reviews.

I definitely do not suggest this curriculum for students transitioning from public school to homeschool especially!! I can see how it can work for kids in 1st grade and this is all they know... Then they can be prepared to accept dry curriculum throughout the later years.

FloridaHSMom

• Reviewed on Friday, February 15, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st, 3rd, 5th
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
This is my first year homeschooling, and I have to say, I researched almost every Catholic curriculum out there. I at first fell in love with CHC, then got disenchanted with it's lack of challenge and soft-style, touchy-feely learning. Then, many of my new HS friends were using Mother of Divine Grace, and I looked at them very seriously, but found out that I'm not the Classical Curriculum kind of person. I love their history though, I think reading about something in a book is a better way to learn than just facts. I will probably buy or check out some of those books for my children so they can read about history more. However, when it came right down to it, I could SEE that Seton had it all.. lots of help, an accredited curriculum that I could adjust when needed, and enough work for my previously bored 3rd grader, and yet adjustments for my math-challenged 5th grader. My first grader can even finish his work by 11:30 am most days, and that's a full load! But, that's enough for him.

I know that you are on this site looking for something that will fit your child, and it all seems overwhelming. BEEN THERE! I want you to know that if you do Seton, just for one year, you will find that your children are receiving a better curriculum than the schools are giving out right now, and you will see their skills grow quickly. If you stick with them, you'll see that you can tailor their curriculum a lot more than some people say.

What scared me off initially from them were how many people say that Seton gives too much work. This is true. They have a LOT you COULD do, but what you need to know is that it doesn't ALL need to be done. For example... My 1st grade son at first was flying through his spelling book, so each week I would have him read the words, take the test, and be done for the week. I might have him do one of the pages for that week besides the test. But, all of a sudden, the words were more challenging, so he NEEDED the extra pages to practice with word triangles, or putting the words in ABC order so that he could practice. So, the workbook got used more again. This is how Seton works. If the workbook HELPS, use it. If it's just becoming busy-work, skip it, and just make sure the lessons are understood.

Moreover, I like that the work is challenging. I don't think that if something is difficult we should just find another easier curriculum, it might mean that there's something I need to supplement, or find ways to work with that subject a bit more, because they have to learn it eventually. That's life! I also know that I can work with Seton to find another good fit for my child. For instance, I have an IEW program at my homeschool co-op that I want to enroll my daughter in, and I'm pretty sure if I call them, she can do that work instead of some of the written work she currently has, and for a grade. If not, I can enroll with them subject by subject. Either way, I know that it'll work out.

Finally, I like that for Art, I can use my co-op's art, and that's fine for my teacher grade. I can use music lessons for music, and PE is the grade I give my kids when they join soccer or other physical activities. They give lesson plans because they must, to be accredited, but you can use them at-will. You are still the teacher!

Good luck, and God bless!

tanyali26

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 12, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st and 5th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
I agree with the post below Seton is a great curriculum and does achieve high test scores. That being said I have came to the conclusion that I love Seton for my 5th grader, in the past we have struggled and this year he has improved greatly. I am overall pleased with the structure, and lesson plans. I did substitute his Science for Appologia Zoology I , my only complaint is I would have like to have Harcourt as a option and Seton uses the older editions of Saxon for math. My DS and myself our content with their history as well. I belive it was very solid. That all being said we will be re-enrolling my DS 11 for 6th grade.

Now for my DD 6 who did 1st grade this year..............!!! Ok let me start by saying the English, Spelling , Phonics, and handwriting were great. I was worried at first because when I first recieved the materials I thought it would be to hard for my dd. But she ended up going through phonics and english without any problems but we ended up having to supplement phonics with a accelerated reading lab because she finished the phonics workbooks in 3 months and was reading 3rd grade level readers. I also found myself using the lesson plans half the time because I constantly had to find extras for dd to do. We did struggle with math but we realized that dd does better hands on so setons materials ended up on the side as I supplemented with manipulatives and a silver burnette workbook. We already knew starting this year that dd was gifted (she was suppose to be in K) but after going through this year we realized she needs a more specialized curriculum to suit her. So for the future I will still use some of their materials (spelling, and religion). I almost forgot for science and history at this level I felt it was a little dry and we ended up using alot of DK books and library books.

So basically I think Seton is a great overall program but not for every child. I also wish they were able to be a little more flexible in substituting subjects.

mommy2gr8kids03

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 20, 2010
  • Grades Used: K, 1st, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
After trying MANY curriculums, Catholic and Protestant, I have come to rest upon Seton. Their curriculum is soundly Catholic and you KNOW your child is getting the best education possible with them. My 2nd grader just took the CAT test yesterday, as required by our school district and he tested at a 4th grade level in every subject. He achieved a stanine score of 9 which is the highest level. I attribute that to Seton materials that he's used since Kindergarten.

Seton books are a little "drier" than others, but you can't beat the material being taught in them. If you're looking for a flashy program with colorful eye catching pages. This isn't for you. But if you want a solidly Catholic curriculum that will give your child the edge he needs to succeed in this world with good SOUND morals, then by all means choose Seton! Please realize that the books from Seton are VERY Catholic, and that's fine with us. We enjoy that. So if you don't mind having the Catholic faith immersed in every subject, then take the plunge. We are not enrolled with Seton at this time. Maybe in the future, I don't know. But as of now I like to be accountable only to me, and make up my lesson plans as I wish. You have that option as well.

I only wish that I had been homeschooled, and with Seton. The gift that I am giving my children by educating them with Seton is the best I could give.

Good luck, God bless and happy homeschooling!!